Extractor Problem with Winchester 1400

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Extractor Problem with Winchester 1400

Postby 20bolt » Tue May 06, 2008 6:49 am

My winchester 1400 (20g @ 2-3/4) will not fully eject Winchester shells. Remington shells work great in both #2 Mags and #8 Light loads. The shells get about 3/4 of the way out and hang up.

Is this the extractor finger, or is this something to do with the chamber?

Thanks
20bolt
hunter

ejection problems

Postby gecherm » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:47 am

I have a model 1400 in 12 ga. It once had problems with hevi shot rounds until I noticed that the rounds were longer. I messed with the loading mechanism and it never was right again. I replaced the loading bar prior to Winchester discontinuing the model. Check the rounds and if the ejection does not work well with those rounds, then don't use them. What ever you do, do not look to adjust anything because this gun is obsolete. I also found that it shoots medium and low brass rounds with a better pattern than high brass. Good luck!
gecherm
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:45 pm

What winchester loads are you trying in it?

Is the shell getting 3/4 the way out oft he ejsction port or 3/4 the way out of the chamber when it hangs up.

If it is the chamber the first thing to do is to really put a scrubbing to the chamber with some good bore cleaner. Letting it soak for 15 to 20 min between scrubbings. then remove the stock and the action spring and give the spring tube and the spring a good cleaning.

If the chamber is the issue than there could be an issue with the EJECTOR but probably not the extractor.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 20bolt » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:52 pm

Winchester 2-3/4 #4 loads

It cycles Remington heavy #2 and Remington light skeet loads, but every single Winchester shell hangs up 3/4 of the way out of the chamber. I have basically just stopped using the Winchester loads, but I would like to fix it, if it wont mess anything else up.
20bolt
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:00 pm

when they hang up in the chamber, is the bolt still "
hooked" to the shell and just stops traveling rearward? Or does the bolt open all the way and just fails to pull the shell out of the chamber all the way?

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 20bolt » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Totally forgot now.

I will fire a few rounds tonight and report back

This is pretty good timing, as I got this gun as my duck gun.
20bolt
hunter

extractor problems

Postby gecherm » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:23 am

I would not make any adjustments or changes to any mechanical items on that gun as I said in another post. THIS GUN IS OBSOLETE. Winchester does not make this model anymore. You will have problems getting any parts for it. I would try some of the cleaning suggestions stated above but I already know that they are not likely your problem. That gun is sensitive to exact pressures and was produced during the transition to steel shot from lead. With the increase in higher velocity shells, it is no surprise that it hangs up with certain rounds. If the rounds are not any longer than the ones that work, than the pressures are likely the cause. I don't use mind anymore for waterfowl as it never shot high brass very well. It is a good trap and upland bird gun as it likes medium and low brass rounds.
gecherm
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:48 am

Ya I wasn't expecting much from it.

I tend to stockpile shells and had almost 1500 rounds in 20g and no gun to fire them (first 20g was on loan). For $275 in perfect condition with 3 chokes, I figured even if I could resell it for $150, at least I would use up my rounds.

Have you ever noticed that the gun had alot of up pitch in the stock? I think I might need square/shim the butt.

Thanks for the suggestions
Last edited by 20bolt on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20bolt
hunter

extraction problem

Postby gecherm » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:26 am

I have had to change the stock too. I had to bring the stock up and to the right to get the pattern to shoot where I see. I used some paper as a widge but created a small opening now where the stock meets the action. It gets mud and stuff in there and is a pain to clean but since they don't make shims for it and the stock end that meets the action is not flat, a shim that takes up the entire area would be hard to fabricate.
gecherm
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:58 pm

My Dad has a 1400 20ga and has not had any problems at all out of it. I shoot slugs, Buck shot and steel thru it all the time and not one issue at all. it is now mainly a close in slug gun for the kids to use but it works great. Really surprised at the troubles you are having. I also had a 12ga version with no issues either until the forend split. Never replaced it just some elmers and a clamp fixed her right up. My 1/2 brother has that one but would rather spend time playing WOW than getting out of the house, And he is now 20 :thumbsdown:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby howard s. » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:07 am

I had a 20 ga. 1400 that did not like Winchester shells but worked fine with all the others.
howard s.
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum