Remington Model 1100

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Remington Model 1100

Postby duckdiesel » Thu May 15, 2008 9:31 am

Hi all,
It's great to see a forum for those specific questions or suggestions, not to knock the shotgun forum but I am excited to see a site for shotgun specific talk without having to scroll through the mossberg 935 vs. the stoeger 2000...

So I've acquired an older 1100 (1974) that my father managed to let go... This is what I want to do, and do by myself in order to get better at this...

1) should I parkerize this rust bucket, blue it, or paint it? It's not bad, but far worse than I would leave it.
2) does anyone have any suggestions about redoing the stock, a good site or link?
3) the gun is being difficult about firing, I've been trouble shooting and if I take the trigger mechanism about and set the trigger it will fire, but it's not doing it after it's installed.

Now I have a great project with more time than I have...
Look forward to any discussion..
DD out
duckdiesel
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu May 15, 2008 2:55 pm

For the steel I would look at Black Ice coating if you want it to look nice with wood stocks. I plan to do an 870 as soon as i find an old wingmaster mag with bad finish for low $.

For the wood I would strip it and put a nice satin finish on it. Maybe an oil finish. I did an old beater gun once with linseed oil and a satin poly over it. I don't know much about wood finishing, but it turned out fine and still looks good for what it is. Someone can probably give you better wood advice if you tell them what you want it to look like.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby duckdiesel » Thu May 15, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks for the input, I have never heard of Blace Ice and will be googling that tonight, the wood stocks are in pretty good shape, I might sand them and refinish & clear coat or go synthetic... it looks like a setup would run around $75 at Cabelas or such.

duckdiesel
hunter

Postby Ned S » Sat May 17, 2008 10:44 am

I use Tung Oil or Tung Oil varnish to refinish the wood on my guns. I put on about 7 coats rubbing out with steel 0000 wool between coats. It is far more water resistant that the linseed base oils. I also use Brownells bluing. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat May 17, 2008 4:45 pm

I think you can still get stocks on e-bay. I had an old 1100 I redid as a slug gun and sold the wood stocks for a good amount of money on e-bay and then got some black synthetic ones. The wood was still in good condition, but had the high gloss finish. I thought it was better to pass the wood on to someone that wanted it rather than mess with it.

Here is the link to the black ice site.
http://www.blackicecoatings.com/
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

I've been doing some research

Postby duckdiesel » Sat May 17, 2008 8:26 pm

I appreciate the comments guys, and I think I'm going to try to redo the wood myself and go with the tung oil varnish as Ned described, there have been some sites that have been very helpful with the prep work, but I need to run this one by you.... one site had some discussion about using simple green, or the dish washer to degrease... I'm a skeptic!!! But here's the link!!! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive ... 12983.html
Does anybody have a tried and true method, I'm going to use 200 grit, 400 grit, steel wool 00 and 000 but have not done this before and don't want to screw up... and I'd appreciate some cold blueing input...
Master of Hunting in Duckology- God Love It
Registered Maine Guide
duckdiesel
hunter

Postby Ned S » Sun May 18, 2008 12:27 pm

I put a buffing wheel on my grinder and buffed off the old bluing, rust etc, Then I used a solvent on the metal ending up scrubbing with a scouring powder and then washing with very hot water. This gets rid of any residue on the metal. Turn up your water heater. The heat from the water will cause the metal to dry very fast. I then put 7 coats of Brownells Oxpho-Blue slightly rubbing it out with 0000 steel wool between Oxpho coatings. I heat the metal with the very hot water letting it dry before applying more Oxpho. After the last coat I applied linseed oil and rubbed it in with a cloth. This gives a very nice bluing job. Good Luck, Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:08 am

I 2nd Ned S.'s suggestion for Tung Oil. I just finished using it to touchup an old browning bps stock and it worked great.
Good luck
Rem. 1100's are one of my favorite old guns.
When i die my Auto-5 and 1100 will have to be pried from my cold dead hands
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby Ned S » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:24 am

I have two old 1100's with 3" steel Hastings barrel also an 11-87 and these Hasting barrels will fit on it also. I now shoot a 935 and Condor O/U. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

I did use Ned's advice...

Postby duckdiesel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:54 pm

I did go with the Tung Oil finish on the stock after using some walnut stain for color and it worked very well, I applied about 7 or 8 coats (can't remember just once every day) and used the steel wool before applying more. When I get two seconds to think I'll put up some pics, haven't got around to bluing... too busy chasing the Maine lobster...
Master of Hunting in Duckology- God Love It
Registered Maine Guide
duckdiesel
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:11 am

It is easy to buy a OE Remington synthetic black or camo stock under $100.
Bluing cold is a tough job and it usually runs off everytime you go and apply oil to protect it.
When you replace the trigger assembl it only goes in one way the tongue has to engage the feed area..if it is forced in and the pin hole will align with some prying then you have not installed it correctly and forced the fit and it will not pick up or eject correctly
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum