4 shells in benelli

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

4 shells in benelli

Postby huntnful » Mon May 26, 2008 10:42 pm

I have a SBE and an M1 and have seen people put four shells in without removing the plug and was wondering how it was done, if anyone knows.
NOR*CAL WATERFOWLER
huntnful
hunter

Postby Wld Fowl » Tue May 27, 2008 7:51 pm

Load two in the tube then pull the bolt 3/4's of the way back. Push the shell carrier down and put a shell underneath the bolt. Let the bolt go just a little forward and then put the last shell in the chamber.

Make sure the bolt is all of the way forward.

Now you are floating a shell. (Very illegal) If you are caught you will get a fine just as if you had no plug.
Wld Fowl
hunter

Postby huntnful » Tue May 27, 2008 10:20 pm

cool, thanks.
NOR*CAL WATERFOWLER
huntnful
hunter

Postby goose2 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:06 am

Does the gun function the same? will it eject and cycle the way it is suppose to?
goose2
hunter

Postby BADDUCK » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:40 am

Yup
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:16 pm

Hmm, interesting.

Ive heard this can cause damage to the gun after multiple time "floating a 4th" shel. Is this true?
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:03 pm

What is the purpose anyway :huh:. 3 shots are plenty and LEGAL. If you want to shoot more Just remove the plug:thumbsup:

If you are trying this that is fine as Long as you are not hunting waterfowl that way. If so, you are not only breaking the law you are trying the cheat the system. Not very ethical IMO
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:47 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:What is the purpose anyway :huh:. 3 shots are plenty and LEGAL. If you want to shoot more Just remove the plug:thumbsup:

If you are trying this that is fine as Long as you are not hunting waterfowl that way. If so, you are not only breaking the law you are trying the cheat the system. Not very ethical IMO

I agree, just curious about it. But yes nobody should ever do this when hunting.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:34 pm

I float a 4th shell when using my M1 with buck shot for deer. Sometimes we decide to do a drive and I don't want to take the chance of not putting the plug back in for duck hunting the same or next day. It doesn't cause any damage and the gun functions as if there is only shells in the mag.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:41 pm

It won't hurt the gun. The originals were actually designed with the intention of doing it. They just caught heat over it and stopped it when they redesigned the gun. It functions the same way in an Xtrema, which has a button on the back of the carrier which must be pushed to chamber a shell. When you push the button, the shell slides out of the magazine onto the carrier, and you are floating a shell. You can do it on Brownings, Winchesters, & Berettas, which are extremely easy because of the magazine cut-off.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Johnch » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:50 am

I don't do it , expect when we are out west snow goose hunting
But also easy to do in the MP 153 or the Rem version SPR 453

John
I only work to aford so I can aford to hunt

Steel 90% of the time
HD or Hevi 10% of the time when the ducks and geese don't play fair
Johnch
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:19 pm

So if tried this, and had a shell on the carrier w/ one in the chamber and the magazine full, and I fired, it would properly eject the shell and load the next one in right?

But wouldn't it also pop a shell out of the magazine, and end up trying to feed 2 shells at once?
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby cannon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:54 pm

njonesy_07 wrote:But wouldn't it also pop a shell out of the magazine, and end up trying to feed 2 shells at once?

No. Btw, that trick don't work on the SBEII's unless you modify the bolt, which ain't that hard, but is more than I'm willing to go into tonight. On the II's, there's a notch in the bottom of the bolt which will prevent it from sliding over the "floated" shell.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Tool-Man » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:28 pm

cannon wrote:
njonesy_07 wrote:But wouldn't it also pop a shell out of the magazine, and end up trying to feed 2 shells at once?

No. Btw, that trick don't work on the SBEII's unless you modify the bolt, which ain't that hard, but is more than I'm willing to go into tonight. On the II's, there's a notch in the bottom of the bolt which will prevent it from sliding over the "floated" shell.

Well that is good to hear. I thought I just didn't have the patients. :rolleyes:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby N_Georgia » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:24 pm

it is the way it is designed to work on the Benelli's the newer II's won't do it due to a modification done at the factory now. It can easily be modified for about $5 and can be put back original for free in less than two minutes. As for as legallity the rules say no shotgun with a magazine capable of hold more than two rounds. It is legal. If you want more info email me and I will send you a link. Or just search the forums section of Benelli USA's website.
N_Georgia
hunter

Postby N_Georgia » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:30 pm

Just use heavy epoxy, (JB Weld) and it will work fine. But if you do have it welded it need to be a knowledgable tig welder. I you have an airport near you proably will be able to find a good welder there.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthr ... 917&page=2

N_Georgia
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum