SPR 453

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

SPR 453

Postby Short on Cache » Sat May 31, 2008 4:18 pm

I have a SPR 453 or Baikal. I am having a problem it with it ejecting 3 1/2" shells. Any ideas?
"People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
Short on Cache
hunter

Postby duckdiesel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:59 am

Sometimes it could be something as simple as the type of shell you are firing, I believe when discharged a federal 3.5 will be a little bit longer than others... sometimes that fraction of an inch will be enough to "catch", try a couple of different rounds and compare. If that isn't the problem, then I'd look towards the gas or recoil system... sometimes people use a heavier gun oil and that can impede the cycling action, with autoloaders I've found that less is more in terms of performance...

I hope that the above listed suggestions are your problem and not a problem with the gun itself. Hope I've helped..

DD out
Master of Hunting in Duckology- God Love It
Registered Maine Guide
duckdiesel
hunter

Postby Ned S » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Put different brands of fired 3 1/2" hulls in your chamber and see if they eject or catch on the receiver opening. If not move the bolt forward slowly and see if it locks up. If it doesn't hone on the end of the barrel that goes into the receiver until it does. About 3 trys and it should lock up. Then see if it will work. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

thanks

Postby Short on Cache » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:43 pm

I have tried some different brands and they all tend to do the same thing. the bolt will be locked in the rear position and not slide forward to pick up the new shell. I can simply pull the bolt just a little to the rear and it will head forward and pick up the next round???
"People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
Short on Cache
hunter

Postby ohsay » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:08 pm

What is your gas nut set at?
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Postby Short on Cache » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:27 pm

i have moved it all over but it is set at the heaviest setting right now. The same problem happened at all settings
Short on Cache
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:19 pm

It ejects the shell but then the bolt hangs up stuck in the rear. If this is the case your main house spring is either bent or broken due to your gas adjustment being set too high. I know this from experience. I broke the first spring and bent the second one before I got it set back to where it should have been. Best bet is to not mess with it at all. You can order the spring from EAA for like 10 dollars if this is your problem.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum