Duck Hunting Forum banner

New shotgun fit

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  3200 man 
#1 ·
Just bought my first new shotgun that comes with shims so in a total newbie at adjustments . My question is when I shoulder the gun I see a fair amount of the rib. Is this something I ca fix with adjusting the stock or is it a problem with how I mount the gun? Thanks a lot!

#2 ·
You say a fair amount of the rib ? Could that be 11/2'' between the beds or what ?
But to be as helpful as I can , I take it for granted you are mounting the gun in a normal position looking down the
barrel with your pupil center of the rib , where as the back bed is touching the front bed ? This should be step # 1
as it only can be done with your head ( very slightly ) tilted forward but more in the up-right position ! At that point
the gun should be shooting 50/50 . Step # 2 is your preference as to how much higher you want your POI .
If the impact it off left or right you can adjust this CANT with the proper shim to center the pattern horizontally
which should be Dead Center !

I hope this helps as it's not rocket science to have a shotgun shoot where you're looking ?
Remember though , the patterning board is your friend.....and it won't lie to you !

IMHO :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Its only a single bead gun. I put a different shim in last night and that helped tremendously, and you are correct about the patterning board, it will be my friend in a couple weeks :thumbsup: Thanks!

#4 ·
A lot depends on your style too. Some like to see rib and others do not. Some stack the beads (when there are 2 beads) and others line them up. Do some quick snap shots (mount and shoot in one fluid motion) at a large paper with a center spot as your pointing reference. I like to do this with a Full choke at about 25 yds some go farther others closer but it will give you an idea where your actually pointing the gun when shouldered vs where you think your pointing it. Then you can make any necessary adjustments to correct the gun fit.

#5 ·
Waterfowlhunters advise would be very wise.....if the gun fits !

If it fits properly , there's no need for beds as your full focus is on the target ( standing or flying ) .
there's a lot to be said about gun fit and POI as when a fella understands the line of the target
and its speed.....it's easy to shoot it from the hip too !
Its got'ta shoot where you're looking ! :yes:

#7 ·
Guys, im just an hunter and very seldom shoot clays, skeet or trap, so please enlighten me a bit. I read many of the topics from the guys about all these new guns that come with shims etc and adjusting those guns to fit you. It leaves this old fellow a bit confused. How in the world do you shim that gun so it fits you dressed in a t shirt for dove hunting and expect that same gun, to fit you wearing 3 layers of warm cloths and a parka that you wear for goose hunting. I can see shimming a gun to fit you for completion clays etc when you wear the same clothing but what about hunting situations.

Thanks Cluck

#8 ·
That's a fair question Cluck !

On my hunting guns , which have been fitted , I have 2 different recoil-pads # 1 is for Winter-time hunting so it's 1/2''
shorter than # 2 recoil-pad which is My Summer time pad !

When you have your gun fitted or by fitting it yourself ,once it is adjusted to you the only thing that will screw things-up
is your LOP ( length of pull ) as with to long a LOP , shots 45 degrees a up , your cheek ( or anchor point ) will be off !

Causing your POI to be , somewhere other than on target......mostly a lot lower than your POA !

#11 ·
Johnny-O said:
I bought the ATI Akita adjustable stock for my 835. I'll run it at the full lop in summer, 1 click shorter when it starts to get cold and sometimes 2 clicks if I'm really bundled up. It's a really nice, quality piece.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/shotguns/mo ... able-stock

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
Hey , what ever suits your style , around here fellas seem to prefer guns with pistol grips and handles as they drive
around town in their low-riders shooting at innocent skinny looking people riding bicycles after midnight , some say ,
it's the sporting way ! :yes: :lol3:

I think they are both tweaked , as they never hit anyone because the gun has never been fitted ! :no:

#12 ·
That's enough of the sly remarks as I don't want to offend anyone !
Any shooter , that invest the time or money into having his gun ( no mater , What model ) fit him is on the road to more
successful shooting ! It's really not rocket science if you do a little research of the basic's ( LOP first , cast second and
POI testing third ) this will determine what you need for successful shooting . Once you have these down pat , it's trigger
time that will improve your shooting as the more time you spend on the Clay target range....the better you'll be !

#13 ·
3200 man said:
Johnny-O said:
I bought the ATI Akita adjustable stock for my 835. I'll run it at the full lop in summer, 1 click shorter when it starts to get cold and sometimes 2 clicks if I'm really bundled up. It's a really nice, quality piece.

Hey , what ever suits your style , around here fellas seem to prefer guns with pistol grips and handles as they drive
around town in their low-riders shooting at innocent skinny looking people riding bicycles after midnight , some say ,

I think they are both tweaked , as they never hit anyone because the gun has never been fitted ! :no:
Not sure what you were trying to get at here? The Akita is a field style stock, not some pseudo combat thing.

#14 ·
Johnny-O said:
3200 man said:
Johnny-O said:

Not sure what you were trying to get at here? The Akita is a field style stock, not some pseudo combat thing.

Sorry , after looking it up I see where this stock has some adjustments to it .
I wasn't familiar with its design as a after-market stock , so my ignorance came right out in my remarks !

My suggestions to a reasonably fitted gun is how you adjust its stock and I believe you can do fine with yours ,
by spending time on the patterning board....and....proving to yourself it's correctly fitted at the range on clays .

Good Shooting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.