Duck Hunting Forum banner

Gracoil recoil adjustable recoil reducer install

9K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  waterfowlhunter 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Decided I had some spare time this morning so I installed the recoil reducer on my 725. it took about 2 hours of work at the most but ended up an all day project. Had to shave the lab due to shedding issues in the house, take kids to friends houses, Trip to Sears for 6X48 sanding belts, trip to hardware for 600 Wet sand paper and trip to hardware for 1-1/16" hole saw. I have all of these items somewhere in the shop but I as usual will not find them until I stop looking for them :mad:

Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (2).JPG

Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (3).JPG

Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (4).JPG

Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (5).JPG

Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (6).JPG

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
More Pictures of Install

Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (8).JPG

Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (7).JPG

Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (10).JPG

Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (9).JPG

Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (13).JPG

Attachments

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Continuing on.

Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (14).JPG

The Existing Hole is smaller than the 1-1/16" needed and on an incorrect angle. The stock bolt hole had to be drilled on an angle slightly more toward the grip for the Gracoil to fit properly.
Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (15).JPG

Two parts separated for Grinding
Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (16).JPG

All Holes drilled and oil stain being applied to seal wood
Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (19).JPG

Base plate ground down to stock dimensions
Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (17).JPG

Attachments

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Completion, Well Almost anyway. I have to take it out to the range so that I can adjust the LOP and the pad drop and angle to fit me.

Base plate grinding done ready for final wet sanding
Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (21).JPG

Ready for the mounting screws
Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (22).JPG

Assembled for testing of recoil and LOP adjustment operation, All holes are correct and everything lines up / functions nicely.
Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (23).JPG

The scribe line for grinding, Have to remove a lot of material on these for the 725's
Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (20).JPG

After final grinding of recoil pad and adjustment plates. I left the recoil pad and plates about 1/4" larger than the base plate which makes it about the same size as the factory recoil pad. I had planned to reuse the browning pad but the screw holes are not in the correct locations
Gracoil Installation Browning 725 (1).JPG

Attachments

#5 ·
Nice job WFH'er !

I've had a few of these installed on guns and was somewhat disappointed , at how much wood had to be removed .
By shortening the stock and enlarging the holes , the guns seem ( to Me ) barrel heavy and I had very little options to
add weight in the stock to counter it . The adjustability of the Gracoil does prove it relieves some recoil when it's
adjusted to fit you , kinda like , when you have a Stock fitter , adjust the stock / gun to fit you , there's much less
recoil . I have gone with a ISIS pad on a couple guns that were fitted as the spring tension of ( 3 ) different sets allows
me to change them for shooting soft or heavy loads .

Have you figured-out how to balance the gun out ? I sure would like to know ?

#6 ·
Balance was not effected at all it seems. The gracoil is not light and the Kick-EEZ is heavier than the factory pad so it did not make any difference that I can feel. I have not shot it yet to determine if it makes any difference. I did not install it for the recoil reduction but for the adjustability.

#7 ·
I do understand what you're seeking with gun fit , if it doesn't fit , you will get more recoil out of the gun .
You sure did a nice job of installing it and with its adjustability......fine tuning it, will help !

I did add weight to mine as I filled the stock-bolt hole with shot.....that did the trick , as any weight added to a gun
reduces the felt recoil.....some !

#8 ·
3200 man said:
as any weight added to a gun reduces the felt recoil.....some !
I agree :thumbsup: , but I rarely ever notice recoil even with 1300fps 1-1/8oz Sporting clays loads I Sometimes use on the long birds.

I prefer lighter more lively guns over heavier target guns. I often take my 26" Field 725 to the sporting clays range, It weighs over a pound less than the sporting and I actually like shooting clays with it as much or more than the target gun. hoping that taking 1/2" off the LOP will make it feel more like my field guns. I am just not a fan of heavy guns with a long LOP.

#10 ·
I shoot best with a 14-1/4 LOP the 725 sporting comes factory with a 14-3/4" lop. The toe on most of my guns is square with the comb no angle but the pitch I am still working on as it changes depending on if I am shooting in my vest or my shooting coat as the vest and coat both have pads built into the shoulder and different bulk. probably going to be 3/8 to 1/2 when I am done. I will also drop the recoil pad down about 1/2" so more of it is in the shoulder pocket. I am good with a straight (no cast) stock on most all O/U's

#11 ·
It sure sounds to me , you know what you need ! One thing I found with the Straight stock with a Gracoil was , I
had to slide the pad plate down (about) 5/8'' so I could keep my head upright and eyes level to the ground , this gives
me a better reading of the line of the target ,needless to say , conserve's my energy for the end of the shoot .

For your efforts with the Gracoil installation , now's the time to find out which choke and load combo , works Best ?
The fun part ! :thumbsup:

#12 ·
3200 man said:
For your efforts with the Gracoil installation , now's the time to find out which choke and load combo , works Best ?
The fun part ! :thumbsup:

I have all Briley chokes for it, 4 have been replaced by Briley as they had huge holes in the pattern and after them wanting to argue with me about how a replacement would be exactly like the ones I have they finally replaced them (another long story). the new ones actually screw in properly and throw nice even patterns. My field versions have Trulock chokes and I would use them on the sporting too but I like the colored bands on the Briley for easy identification and they just look "fancy" :yes:

I have not found a load that does not pattern nice in this shotgun. I generally stick to 1200fps #8 for even the long shots but use the 1300's at times. Usually AA or STS but when I need to open up the pattern a bit and do not want to change chokes I shoot the gun club or Top gun. They pattern about one size more open than the AA and STS. Basically I can have 2 chokes but several patterns depending on the load. Normally I use a Mod and LM.

:beer:

Shot and handled too many K80's to count but they just do not feel right to me. Looking at a Kolar but not sure if I want to go thru the hassle of fitting and ordering one when I have too many guns that all shoot better than I do already. :lol3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.