Browning dura-touch cutting/fitting

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Browning dura-touch cutting/fitting

Postby bcas » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:42 am

Just curious if anyone has ever had a dura-touch coated gun fitted/stock cut? Any implications on the coating's integrity?

I have a Citori MODB and would like to have it fitted. It's over walnut (from the Browning website) but the few gunsmiths I've called haven't dealt with it (as most are on composite and probably not fitted/cut).

Thanks in advance.
bcas
hunter

Duracoat SUCKS!!!

Postby fenton_3 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:05 am

I bought a Browing Silver last year and I love the gun, but the very first time I used it the duracoat started comming off. Do not get it.

IMO
fenton_3
hunter

Duracoat SUCKS!!!

Postby fenton_3 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:06 am

I bought a Browing Silver last year and I love the gun, but the very first time I used it the duracoat started comming off. Do not get it.

IMO
fenton_3
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:19 am

Do you just need to shorten the stock or do you need to bend it too? if you are just going to shorten it then there is no effect to the duratouch but bending it might effect not only the duratouch but also the ink it was dipped in for the camo pattern. You just tape it up good with some heavy painters tape (will not pull off the duracoat when removed) and cut on the tape to the size you need. I use a 14" compound mitre saw with a very fine carbide tipped blade and have never had any issues.

on the duratouch pealing issue, You can send it in and they will fix it under warranty. I have seen them pealing before they even left the gun store and others tend to last for years. My X2 is holding up great so far.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bcas » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:38 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:Do you just need to shorten the stock or do you need to bend it too? if you are just going to shorten it then there is no effect to the duratouch but bending it might effect not only the duratouch but also the ink it was dipped in for the camo pattern. You just tape it up good with some heavy painters tape (will not pull off the duracoat when removed) and cut on the tape to the size you need. I use a 14" compound mitre saw with a very fine carbide tipped blade and have never had any issues.

on the duratouch pealing issue, You can send it in and they will fix it under warranty. I have seen them pealing before they even left the gun store and others tend to last for years. My X2 is holding up great so far.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure yet however, I think the stock would only need to be cut (at least I hope).

Just curious, where are you located in SE Michigan? I'm from that area. Could you recommend any gunsmith to do this work? Thanks!
bcas
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum