caring for a submerged shotgun

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

caring for a submerged shotgun

Postby flightcancelled » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:18 am

I just helped a buddy find his gun that he lost in a lake last hunting season. Just wondering if anyone knew the best way to go about cleaning the gun, it has a thin coating of rust but not horrible.
flightcancelled
hunter

Postby Ned S » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:15 pm

0000 steel wool and a good gun oil. You may have to reblue using Brownells Ospho Bluing. Refinish the wood if it has it using 7 coats of Tung oil or Tung oil varnish after staining. Rubbing out with the 0000 steel wool after each coat drys. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:15 pm

Break the gun down as far as possible to get each and every piece that you can loose from each other. Soak them in lightweight oil or solvent to break up and loosen any crud and rust that has formed. Remove the choke tube from the barrel (if there is one) and soak it with the parts. Scrub the bore very well and clean the threads of the tube. If there is any internal rust on some parts that doesn't come off with soaking and wiping you can lightly polish it off w/ some 0000 steel wool.

Wipe everything totally dry, lubricate lightly and reassemble. If the stock is wood, you might be shopping for a new one. If it's composite you should be good to go by rinsing and drying it inside and out.

Depending on the make & model of the gun you might have a recoil spring assembly in the stock to deal with. Clean the tube (inside and out), spring and plunger very well. Check with the manufacturers recommendations for lubrication on it as some are designed to run dry and some wet.

Good luck.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby flightcancelled » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:03 pm

thanks guys for the feedback
flightcancelled
hunter

Postby Ned S » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:40 pm

Apexhunter, What guns are suppose to run dry??????? Ned S :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:58 pm

The recoil spring assembly in Benelli guns is not supposed to be lubricated but routinely cleaned and run dry...at least the recommendations in the book for my old M1 Super 90 say not to. Plus I've been told by more than 1 smith to leave them dry. I have replaced the factory one with a Sure Cycle stainless assembly and it is not to be lubricated as well.

I apologize if I wasn't clear about it being just the recoil assy.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Ned S » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the info. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:54 pm

Ned S wrote:Apexhunter, What guns are suppose to run dry??????? Ned S :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Remington says to wipe everything "clean and DRY" they only say to LIGHTLY oil the choke tube and trigger assembly. everything else is to be left dry.

I oil mine down but they actually collect less grime when I leave them dry. especially the mag tube and gas pistons. A gunsmith I know real well says not to oil 11-87's at all if your having feed or ejection issues and they will start working :huh: I have seen this work.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:04 pm

Wood or synthetic?

Camo dipped, blued or parkerized?

if wood, save yourself a LOT of time and just get a new set of camo dipped or wood from ebay.

you can refinish them ( I have done several) but it is very time consuming if you want to do it right. I have the step by stem process to give you a High gloss finish using only tung oil that is hard as nails when your done.

the rest is just the labor of steel wool and scrubbing. if any springs have rust on them REPLACE them for safety reasons.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum