protective coating

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

protective coating

Postby vital_kill » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:13 pm

Hey guys I'm building up a old remmy 870 and I wanted to have the exposed metals to be coated. Who does this kinda work and what brands work best?
vital_kill
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:04 pm

have it camo dipped or use a bake on finish from midway or brownells

I have refinished several guns with the brownells gun coat and with Midway usa's cermacoat.

It is a bake on finish and it is very durable. It comes in several shades and colors and with the cermacoat you do not even have to remove the old finish (but media blasting is recommended). the nice thing here is that you can blast the parts and remove any tiny rust spots too.

this is 2 of the ones I have done. YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE DIRESTIONS EXACTLY. I can give you some tips if you go this route.

the 11-87 was put in a case wet and left there for a couple of years by the owner. it was rusted to the case and I had to sand blast it using aluminum oxide to get it cleaned up enough to finish. and it is VERY DURABLE. I have seen pocket carry guns that show little signs of ware after being coated with this stuff and being carried every day for years. The bolt on the 1187 was also painted and you can see it is holding up great too. It was the polished mirror finished bolt before I had to refinish it. I also had to replace the stocks as this was a high gloss premier and I made it dear blind friendly

Image[/quote]
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum