1187 bolt buffer

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

1187 bolt buffer

Postby webtoe » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:22 pm

My bolt buffer is worn out and needs to be changed .is there any of advice or warnings about knocking out the pin that holds it? And when i put the pin back in do i need to stake it with a punch, or will it just stay in ? :huh:
webtoe
hunter

Postby Ned S » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:45 pm

The pin that holds the buffer in place also holds the firing pin and spring in place. It should be a slight press fit. Just watch when you take it out. If the pin gets loose just use some loctite on it. I've replaced several in my 1100 as I shot some nasty reloads in it before the days of Alliant STEEL powder. Good luck, Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby atwoodflash » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:11 pm

I have a bolt buffer if you need one PM me!
atwoodflash
hunter

Postby webtoe » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks for the help !!!I ordered the part last week should be in any day. :thumbsup:
webtoe
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:41 am

webtoe wrote:Thanks for the help !!!I ordered the part last week should be in any day. :thumbsup:

How did it go? Looks like I'm up for the same repair. :no:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:14 pm

the pin that holds the bolt buffer is splined (has teeth on it) and if you drive it in and out too much they will get loose, I usually replace the pin and the buffer. When you put the pin back in try to line ut the splines on the pin with the ones it has made in the hole to prevent making new slots every time you change it.

about a 15min job.

:thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby webtoe » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:34 pm

Tool-Man wrote:
webtoe wrote:Thanks for the help !!!I ordered the part last week should be in any day. :thumbsup:

How did it go? Looks like I'm up for the same repair. :no:

It was very easy!! I also changed the action spring so the new buffer would last longer. I compaired the old and new spring together and the old one was a lot shorter so I guess it was wore out. :thumbsup:
webtoe
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum