Duck Hunting Forum banner

stock shortening

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  lostknife4 
#1 ·
I just bought my girlfriend a new Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I and I need the stock shortened and the recoil pad refit. Do you guys know of anyone that does this professionally, that I could send the stock to???

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Just a suggestion, buy another stock, have it shortened and keep the factory stock in case you ever want or need to sell the gun.
If it was a cheap gun I would think just go for it and shorten it, but it's not.
Midwest Gun works has Beretta stocks, not a cheap alternative but they can remove the factory stock and replace it with one of their factory stocks and shorten that for you. Then you have the original stock also just in case.
You ever want to sell the gun your going to loose big time if you have a shortened stock and nobody wants it.
Here's their website
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... -20ga-wood

#3 ·
BT Justice,

thank you for the link and information...

I just called MGW and they gave me a price of $140 to shorten the stock, remount/regrind the recoil pad and return ship back to me. I think that is a very fair price, and I will get the stock shipped off first thing Monday morning. I'll report back on the quality of the work, when I get it back...

#5 ·
The only "bad" part, is that they told me the turnaround time would be 8-10 weeks, so that is going to be cutting things kinda close for duck season, with loading and pattern testing needing to be done. I think I'll go ahead and send the stock off today, instead of waiting to send it Monday. Times wasting...

#6 ·
The turn around time doesn't surprise me with them, Buck Hamlin who does Double gun work is like 1-2 year turn around time last I talked with him.
I did my wife's gun and it came out nice, it's easy to do but you need a belt sander.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
You can do it yourself if you take your time. You need a good saw, sharp fine tooth blade and belt sander. Takes about an hour to do the first one then they get easier.

I just cut this one down for my daughter. It was a hurry job due to issues with her other gun and took about 20 min but it came out very nice. Due to her small size I had to add a KickEEZ 1/4" cheek pad to get the fit right.

P1030999-1.JPG

Attachments

#8 ·
waterfowlhunter said:
You can do it yourself if you take your time. You need a good saw, sharp fine tooth blade and belt sander. Takes about an hour to do the first one then they get easier.

I just cut this one down for my daughter. It was a hurry job due to issues with her other gun and took about 20 min but it came out very nice. Due to her small size I had to add a KickEEZ 1/4" cheek pad to get the fit right.

That does look nice, good job!

If this were a Remington 870, I would shorten it without hesitation. But, being on a $2,200 new Beretta, I just cannot make myself do it. I already sent the stock off, and sent mine off as well...

Why do the vast majority of O/U guns have such "long" stocks to begin with? A Remington shotgun or Browning A-5 are the perfect length for me, but every nice O/U I handle, has a very long length of pull...

#9 ·
Most field guns are 14-1/4" LOP and clays or sporting guns will be longer in the 14-3/4" range. I cut down my 725 sporting so it is 14-1/4 (to the same length as my 725 field versions) and a high grade Beretta for a buddy that needed a 14" LOP I do not like long LOP on any gun and I am only 5" 10" but have long arms and have to buy "tall" shirts or the sleeves are way too short. The "target" guns just do not feel good to me but a lot of target shooters start gun up and spend time getting it set just right in the pocket. In the field you need something you can quickly shoulder and a shorter LPO helps with that especially if you are wearing a heavy coat.

#10 ·
BT has given you the best long term recommendation. You will retain value and your customer base will be much larger in the long run AND there are some folks out there that are looking for an extra "youth" stock to circumvent obsolesence and have a ready made upgrade path for the times when other longer limbed people want to use it.
X2 fot BT

Lost

#11 ·
Hey loss,

I am 6'2" and have l-o-n-g arms, but the stock length on these O/U guns is very long indeed. Even shooting doves in September in a t-shirt, the stocks were still on the long side...

I am having 1" cut off of my Winchester Model 101 and Beretta Silver Pigeon I Sporting model and 2" off my girlfriend's Beretta Silver Pigeon I 20 ga...

A couple of our friends who travel and shoot Sporting Clays competitively, said the stocks are very cumbersome and too long to fit and swing smoothly, and for hunting, even with a light jacket, they would just about be useless...

If these guns don't fit properly, then what's the point in keeping them? I won't never sell them, and they are the only shotguns I now own...

#12 ·
My hunting guns have short (cut) stocks, my target guns O/U Beretta barreled sets have longer T shirt weather stocks. A couple of my hunting guns have two stocks, for warm weather and cold weather use. I hear ya about cutting them my comment was to retain their value should you decide to sell or trade up.
Lost

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.