Duck Hunting Forum banner

3 1/2" gun jam on Browning Maxus

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  portahunter 
#1 ·
I have a browning maxus, and I recently thought I would like to shoot bigger shells at geese as they are a bigger bird. My gun is also able to shoot these bigger shells so i figured why not. I bought Winchester super X 3 1/2" shells and i can get the first shot off and the second shell jams. I clean the gun after almost every hunt. My shot shell doesn't have enough time to come out as the next shell is coming in. If you have any ideas on what i can do to fix this please comment.

#2 ·
does it say 3.5" on the side of the barrel? Maxus come in both 3" and 3.5" Chambers.

I had a first run Maxus 3.5" and it would jam more than shoot. It would jam to the point where the fired shell was still in the open chamber and the next round was trying to chamber. most of the time I had to take the barrel off to clear it so I traded it off. I now have a Sporting Clays version chambered in 3" and so far it has been fine.

#9 ·
I had this same issue with my maxus several years ago and simply started brushing the chamber real well a couple of times a season with a bronze bore brush and a cordless drill. Between that and using CLP to clean the receiver and bolt I haven't had the issue again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
It could be a shell problem but most of the time it's the operators problem of not cleaning his Maxus . Just because
one runs a oiled rag over the outside , doesn't mean it's clean ! Like what has been said , some chambers rust-up faster
than others ...or... are rougher than need be so , by taking a brass brush on a short rod , wrapping some steel-wool around it
and putting a little ( Koil , WD 40 ) or whatever you have and chucking it up in your drill , Clean That Chamber / forcing cone
area spotless......and , while you're at it....clean the rest of the gun , the way it should be , with some TLC !

For goodness sakes....it's a Maxus....The best Waterfowl gun you can buy , at least , mine is ! :thumbsup:

#11 ·
I have a Maxus and was experiencing the same problems you are describing, I took the stock off and removed the action spring cleaned and streched it, reinstalled and haven't experienced another problem since. May not work for you but it's worth a shot. A quick heads up its a lil tuff getting the spring back on after removing

#12 ·
Think the recoil spring is probably your problem. Take it out and clean it like stated above.

I've currently got issues with the bolt linkage tube sticking on my gun. Took it apart and cleaned it and now the linkage tube that the bolt arm goes into won't move freely in the recoil tube. Looking like I'm gunna have to take it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.