Not striking primer that well...

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Not striking primer that well...

Postby deputy_d » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:57 pm

Heres my problem.

My gun ( Winchester 1400) is misfiring about every 7th shell. When the shell is removed the primer is dimpiled but not struck solid. Is there a quick fix for this before i take it to the gun smith? Does anyone know what this sounds like. Any help would be appreciated guys....

deputy_d
hunter

Postby Pacific Fisher » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:28 am

Most often this problem can be traced to crud build up in the firing pin channel that prevents the pin from going fully forward.

Most hunters spray and wipe off the bolt assembly without getting into the firing pin.
That is fine until you have shallow pin hist.

It should not be that big a deal to remove the pin.
You can first try to hold the bolt assembly, push the firing pin in with a fine wire and spray a steam of gun cleaner into the firing pin hole.

If that does not work remove the pin.

Let us know what you find out.
Pacific Fisher
hunter

Postby JimG » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:03 pm

Not shooting Gun Club loads are you? I'm 4 boxes into a case and have had 4 misfires.
JimG
hunter

Postby Lil' Bear » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:38 pm

sounds like a broken firing pin, I know the model 12 will run until it breaks into three peices, or maybe broken hammer spring or like Fisher said just to dag dirty

Kris
Lil' Bear
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:57 pm

There is a good chance that the bolt is not closing completely into the chamber, my 1400 was eral bad about that. It might looked closed, but if you were to push it cllosed by hand you could probally feel it move that last bit.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:12 am

Remove the fireing pin and clean the bolt Real good, SOmetimes running a pipe cleaner thru the fireing pin hole will drag out all the gunk that is causing your problem.

A clean gun is a Happy gun :yes:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JimG » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:34 am

I'm now 6 boxes into the case of Gun Clubs and have two more misfires to report. I pulled the bolt and the firing pin seemed to move freely. But I cleaned the snot out of it anyway. I'll be trying again on some skeet next Sunday.
JimG
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum