Angle Porting

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Angle Porting

Postby yareelohim » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:38 am

I was talking to an old timer at the range yesterday and he suggested I get my SN angle ported. He has had this done to all his competition guns and does it himself to his other guns. He was pretty confident that it was help the barrel to jump less, and slightly reduce felt recoil.

What do you all think? Should I have my barrel angle ported? Also, would porting it mess up the max-4 camo (i.e. scratch it really bad around the ports).

Thanks guys.

- Jonathan
Last edited by yareelohim on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby Neillp » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:04 pm

I have a Beretta Urika Al391 that I sent to Angle Port and had the whole 9 yards done to it. Angle Ported, Back boared, Hand polished and re-timed, 3lb trigger, counterweights, ect.. I love it! Its the best thing I've done to a gun so far. I shoot SCTP (Schoolastic Clay Target Program) in Thomas County, Ga. I've been thru my share of automatics and always come back to a Beretta. I had a Benelli Super Sport II for a year, and liked the gun alot, but couldn't shoot it as well as my Beretta. The Benelli was extremely easy to clean, no felt recoil (to me that is), and was a good all-round gun that many of my team mates shot. However, that isn't the point.
I would recomend sending the gun to Angle Port. The Urika I just sent off cost $250 to do all of the above and more! They are very good about talking to you. Hope this helps! PM me if you have any other questions about Angle Port and I'll do my best to answer!
Neill Payne
Neillp
hunter

Postby Woodyard » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:08 pm

I would not suggest porting a hunting gun unless you like to hunt by yourself. Your blind partners will not appreciate the added noise.
Woodyard
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:48 am

does it really increase noise that much? I don't think the noise would actually bother any of us. We will probably start usuing a light ear plug this season too.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:22 pm

There is a very discernible difference in the side blast with a ported barrel and/or choke. If everybody is using hearing protection it probably wouldn't matter...but if the guy next to you isn't he will get an earful.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:26 am

Woodyard wrote:I would not suggest porting a hunting gun unless you like to hunt by yourself. Your blind partners will not appreciate the added noise.

My buddies didn't like it.

I had a 935 that my buddies not just heard, they felt the concussion of the blast. No ported guns in our blinds, besides your not shooting 25,50 or100 times in a row like a range gun. Get a recoil pad.
Last edited by don taylor on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby atwoodflash » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:26 am

The angle porting is a good idea and they do a great job, but the noise is an issue that you and you friends will have to deal with.
atwoodflash
hunter

Postby Pacific Fisher » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Porting is fine for a competition gun where every one normally wears ear protection.
It does reduce muzzle jump and can help get on a second target.
But the increased noise directed back to you and those near you is not so good for many hunting situations.
Pacific Fisher
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum