Mossberg 835 jambing question

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Mossberg 835 jambing question

Postby Mnflatlander » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:43 pm

I own a Mossberg 835. Here is the problem I am having. When I shoot a 3 1/2" the first shell seems to jamb in the chamber. For the most part, its Federal shells that I have problems with. If you measure Federal, Winchester and Kent shells, fired or unfired, they are different lengths. Federal is the longest shell, Winchester is in the middle and Kent is the shortest. The best performing shell in this gun is Kent, of course, because the length is shorter. Federal is the longest and jambs the most and I just started using Winchester which is in the middle. I clean the gun on a regular basis after hunting. Do I bring it to a gunsmith and have him bore out the chamber? I love the gun and I don't want to have to buy another. Any advise will help.
Mnflatlander
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:56 pm

is it Jamming as in you can not open the chamber or is it jamming in the open chamber and just not kicking it out to clear the next round?
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:46 pm

I had one of those not to long ago. You had to rack it back pretty hard to get it to toss a 3 1/2" free and clear. Sometimes I was just short cycling it.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mnflatlander » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:33 pm

It is jamming. The shell stays in the chamber. Sometimes I have to take the barrel off and use a stick to push the empty free.
Mnflatlander
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:32 am

Get a can of barrel blaster and a brass bore brush. Put the bors brush in a short extension and place it in a cordless drill. spray the chamber with the shotgun and choke cleaner and let it soak for 15 min. then spray it again and spray the brush. Run the brush in and out of the chamber spinning it with the drill about 25 times and then spray it out with Brake clean (non-clorinated type only) or spray the barrel cleaner in it again and use a bore swab and clean out all the crap you just broke free.

That usually corrects the problem you are having.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mnflatlander » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:32 pm

Thanks! I will try it.
Mnflatlander
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:15 pm

i got a buddy who put a hone on a cordless drill that is just a smidge bigger than the chamber and cleaned it out a little. his 835 ejects everything now. i've been meaning to do it to my 935, but too many projects on the books right now.

and for whatever reason federal shells are a little longer.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:51 pm

MOSSBERG935 wrote:and for whatever reason federal shells are a little longer.

:hijacked:

Not to go to far off subject but I found out today that My Gold and X2 will not reliably eject Federals. they get caught in the port as if they are just a 1/6 too long.

Thought it was just me that noticed this.

:hijacked:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby flight canceled » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:06 pm

my old man has a sig sauer .22 trailside, and it always jams with federal ammo. must be somehting bout the ammo?
If you want peace, prepare for war.
flight canceled
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum