Duck Hunting Forum banner

Has anyone sent their A400 xtreme into Rob Roberts?

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Yuchi1 
#1 ·
Any A400 guys shooting Rob Roberts chokes or having im lengthen and polish forcing cones,polish action, do trigger work, etc? Which tubes and shells did your A400 like the best??

Have my gun in with him now and am excited about getting it back early next week,

#2 ·
I'm shooting Carlson's chokes in mine and have been very happy with them. The factory tubes were pretty good in mine as well, but I prefer an extended tube and went with Carlson's as they've performed well for me in other guns. I haven't had RR do any work on mine, but I'd be interested to hear what how yours comes out. Any particular area you're asking them to work on or ?

#3 ·
I believe the forcing cone is already lengthened from the factory like Rob does for the Benellis. Could be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere. I like the stock trigger personally, and have had zero hiccups with lots of different size loads. I have planned to order the t2 choke, but havent got around to it.

Had a buddy send him his sbe2 and did all kinds of work, and he was very happy with it though.

#4 ·
Yeah, I am having him lengthen and polish the forcing cone, in the Beretta they are "extended" but not as much as is needed to make a unnoticeable transition. You can still see it if you look down the stock barrel. I am having trigger work done, hiviz compsight, action work/polishing, t3 choke, bolt handle, and slammer button. I think that's everything. Was debating over getting the t3 or t2 but from what I hear the t3 is awesome in the A400. If it's too tight and I can't hit anything, they'll swap it out with a t2 for me.

No one has had RR do work on their A400's? He says he's done a ton so there has to be someone on here! The dipping jobs withthe cerakote look really sweet on the SBE's. I wonder how it would look on the A400's?

#8 ·
Understand how some may feel that way, but I look at it little differently. I look at certain guns I own as tools and I want to get the most out of them and improve on what I can. It would be one thing if I was a bad shot and was doing these things, but I consider myself to be a competent shooter and want to see what more I can get out of the gun. Other guns I would never even think to touch, but the guns that I hunt ducks with most every day, I want to have it at it's best. I get some satisfaction out of it. And this is the first time I've had this much work done on my gun, so I'm curious to see what the results will be. I haven't heard one bad thing from anyone that has had Rob work on their gun. Added bonus is this gun will be deadly on gobblers as well in the spring.

#9 ·
I bet he has done several sporting clays guns, but I would be very surprised if he has done more than just a couple waterfowl guns. The work Rob Roberts does is really geared towards target shooting. I don't know how well it translates too large steel shot. Yes, I bet it will improve patterns with turkey loads given they are closer to target loads than are waterfowl loads.

#10 ·
There are very few Mods that improve over factory engineering ! Sure , clay target guns can be setup as race-horses but
steel shot hunting guns can be improved with only very few of the expensive add-ons . While most manufactures of good
quality Waterfowl guns are ( already ) over-sizing the bores , along with , supplying an assortment of extended chokes , with
stock shims to pre-fit your gun........Most ALL after-marketing modifications are a waste of money BUT , It's yours to Waste !

More trigger time along with some time on the patterning board.....will prove this to you too ! :yes:

#20 ·
Stevetags for the win on reading comprehension...but anyway got the gun back and it is awesome! I haven't patterned it, but I hunted this morning, and although it was a slow morning, every shot was a clean kill and stoned hard. I used the t2 all day and had hevimetal 3" 3's as the first shot and 2's following up. I was worried shots up close was going to be too tight, but from the looks of the birds they were not tore up even on the shots that were inside of 20yds. I threw a limbsaver pad on it once I got it back from Rob, because I've always liked them, and the recoil is definitely significantly less than my previous A400, but I didn't have a limbsaver on my old one either. The trigger is sick and I'd love to know what they did with the action polishing because it really does feel smoother, and that BOING sound that you can notice on some A400's was not there. One thing that I like is you really wouldn't know what all has been done to the gun just by looking at it unless you really looked closely. Rob Robert's Benelli's kind of stick out, at least for me I spot them every once in a while, mostly the performance shop guns. The slam button is great, don't understand why all semi-auto's don't come with it and the bolt handle is a nice touch. All round a great shooter and can't wait to see how the T3 is on open water. I will say the work done was pricey, but no misses and no cripples first day out was nice. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Also, for some reason, Fedex returned it to RRCGW once it got to Memphis so I called them to find out what happened and they didn't know why it was returned to them, but they threw in a T2 choke for the inconvenience because I paid for 2nd day shipping. Customer service was a pleasure and I would recommend their services. For all the different things that they did, there isn't one that I feel I could've done without. Kind of curious what the trigger shoe would feel like ha. I'll post some pictures over the next few days, but I was wading with my phone and apparently the lifeproof case had a leak and it's dunzo now. Kind of pissed because I got some great videos and pictures of my pup working this morning...

If anyone has any questions let me know!

#21 ·
I will say that I had to mess with my old sbe2 a ton just to get the damn thing to cycle. I put new stainless steel stiffer springs in the stock and magazine tube, and replaced all of the mag internals all with surecycle stainless steel components. Funny enough, on that gun, the barrel bulged on me with no work being done to the barrel! I had to get a whole new barrel! Those are not cheap! But when it did shoot, it shot black cloud well with a Briley light mod. Also threw on a limbsaver pad, and ended up being a nice gun when it eventually got sorted out.

#22 ·
If you are curious what caused the barrel bulge it was a blind side #2 when the first came out a buddy lent me a box, and after shooting a few shells I noticed that the choke was stuck and saw that it was bulged at the very end of the barrel. Fast forward a couple years I was shooting my Maxus and was shooting a blindside shell randomly and the shot exploded out the side of the shell and ended up coming of the ejection port and missed hitting my hunting partner by a few inches. I do not shoot Winchester ammo any longer. Not sure how fast the shot was coming out, but I'm sure it would've badly hurt my friend, if not worse.

#23 ·
Took mine into Briley last year, since I live in Houston. Had the following work done... love the results.
- Trigger Job
- Polish Action
- Lengthen Forcing Cone
- Install EZ Lever (extended/larger bolt handle)
- Install EZ Bolt Closer (replace the button w/ larger one)
- 4 extended / ported chokes (SK, IC, LM, IM)

#24 ·
In the video I saw, Roberts was reaming the forcing cone using a hand tool in lieu of placing it in a lathe/jig which caused me to wonder how "straight" a hand reamed job might actually turn out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.