Duck Hunting Forum banner

Mossberg 500 safety issues

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  brsutton86 
#1 ·
Could anyone here shed some light on why the safety on the Bantam 500 I bought for the grandkids puts itself back on when the action is pumped. Doesn't do it all the time, but enough to give the grandkid fits when he needs another shot. I blamed it on him for the first few times, thinking he wasn't pushing it off all the way, or keeping his thumb on top of the receiver when firing. I've since seen it do it for myself while cycling the action repeatedly. Tough to take apart with the one way screw they use to hold it together. It's the only youth sized gun I've got for him, and don't really want to give it up to the factory or a smith and have him miss out on his first real season hunting. Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
There's really not much that could be the issue. If you can take the safety screw out, as someone above said, make sure the detent ball and spring are there but also make sure the detent plate is there. I got a used 500 in a trade a couple of years ago and it would fire with the safety on. (Safety would slide forward when the hammer fell.) Took it apart and the plate was missing. Bought a new one from Brownells and it works as designed now. You might replace the safety screw with one without the tamper resistant head as well. If all the pieces are there, it should function fine.

Detent Plate on bottom left

Also, not sure if this is possible, but the safety block may be in backwards and could possibly be causing the slide to re-engage the safety as the action is pumped.

safety block

They're really not that complicated so hopefully the problem can be easily remedied. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.