Duck Hunting Forum banner

20 gauge 11-87 locked up. HELP !

708 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Splatt 
#1 ·
So I bought a used 11-87, 20 gauge, to go with my 12.
I started off with Blind Sides, shot a few Federal speed shoks, and didn't like the 1300 fps ratings of either. Bought some Winchester XPerts, that said 1500 fps.
I've got about 3 boxes of shells thru the 20, and last evening, after duck number 4 crumpled to the XPerts on the 2nd shot, I went to reload, but the bolt was locked back, feed ramp and live round was up, and the 20 was froze.
Shook the live round out, and could not get the bolt to move forward. Screw this, birds are flying, and lst is getting close to ending.
Took off across the field and traded back to my 12. 2 shots later, 2 more to the bag limit, and lst was over.

Got home, and ended up pulling the barrel. Action now cycles fine, but gets hung on barrel extension when barrel is put back in. It's almost like there isn't enough room between the bolt and the receiver for the barrel to be in there.

Anyone have this happen ?
If I pull the bolt back, stick the barrel in, I have to force the barrel to seat, and the bolt, will NOT, move forward at all.

See less See more
#2 ·
Got it all apart, and found the problem, I think ?
The edge of the action bar at the charging handle snapped off. Is it still safe to reassemble and shoot ?

If not, I've seen action bars listed, and the same part is listed for 11-87's, lt20's, etc....
I'm taking it, the same bar, fit all 20 gauges ?

#3 ·
Replace the part. Either something put a lot of stress on it or it was a poor casting. Either way I personally would not trust it to be reliable or safe. Especially when a replacement from Gun parts corp is very reasonably priced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.