Duck Hunting Forum banner

Barrel stuck SX3

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  berganser 
#1 ·
I am pretty good about keeping my guns clean but this one has me stumped. After my last hunt I cant pull off the barrel on my Winchester SX3. I have tried a solvent, gun oil etc.. and it still will not come apart. I am a little leery of using a mallet to help separate the barrel from the reciever. Any tips?

#2 ·
Pull the bolt back until it locks open, have a friend pull on the barrel, then push the bolt release button to let the bolt slam forward. You may have to do this a half dozen times, maybe more, but this is how I have been able to safely remove a stuck barrel from the receiver...

Safety rules apply here, make sure both the chamber and magazine are empty before doing this...

#3 ·
Get somebody to hold the butt while you pull and rock the barrel side to side. FWIW, the culprit will be the channel for the rubber O ring in the barrel ring that slides over the magazine. I'd order a new o-ring and replace it after cleaning. You'll need to pull the o ring out and take a dental pick or something and aggressively scrape the carbon fouling that has built up in the o ring channel. That's where your problem is. Pretty common.

#4 ·
cannon said:
Get somebody to hold the butt while you pull and rock the barrel side to side. FWIW, the culprit will be the channel for the rubber O ring in the barrel ring that slides over the magazine. I'd order a new o-ring and replace it after cleaning. You'll need to pull the o ring out and take a dental pick or something and aggressively scrape the carbon fouling that has built up in the o ring channel. That's where your problem is. Pretty common.
Cannon nailed it.

Had a buddy who had to pry the barrel off his SX2 by forcing a screwdriver between the end of the rib and the receiver. He thought the barrel was sticking in the receiver. When I started looking at it, it was obvious the O-ring that Cannon mentioned was the problem. That portion of the gun had not been cleaned in 10 years of heavy waterfowl work. The gun still functioned, though.....
I had a spare O-ring for my Gold that was the same size, and after removing the old O-ring (in pieces), cleaning out the groove, and installing a new O-ring, the barrel would slip on and off easily.

#7 ·
Pecski said:
I have a sx2 that is having the same problem this year. is the O Ring in those guns as well?
Yes. The ring attached to the barrel that slides over the magazine tube has a groove in it just in front of the gas ports. You can order replacements from browning. Crap gets built up underneath that o ring, which causes constriction around the magazine tube. You'll need to scrape the carbon fouling pretty vigorously with some sort of metal or abrasive pick type object to clean it up.

#8 ·
Pecski said:
I have a sx2 that is having the same problem this year. is the O Ring in those guns as well?
mudpack said:
Had a buddy who had to pry the barrel off his SX2 by forcing a screwdriver between the end of the rib and the receiver. He thought the barrel was sticking in the receiver. When I started looking at it, it was obvious the O-ring that Cannon mentioned was the problem. That portion of the gun had not been cleaned in 10 years of heavy waterfowl work. The gun still functioned, though.....
I had a spare O-ring for my Gold that was the same size, and after removing the old O-ring (in pieces), cleaning out the groove, and installing a new O-ring, the barrel would slip on and off easily.

#9 ·
HA!--Went thru it with mine to. I bought this Gun New in 2003 SX2.
I tied a rope to my ATV Rack and to the Rib and Yanked that Pric# apart.
Also at the Time it wasn't ejecting properly.
I cleaned the gun head to toe. I still wasn't impressed.
I sent it in to Browning and Explained ALL Issues with it.
They had to Replace some parts and worked on the Barrel Issue.
I'm VERY Happy with it!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.