870 Plug too long.

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

870 Plug too long.

Postby Chisholm » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:53 pm

i tryed to put two 3.5" shells in my new 870 super express and the plug must be too long... could this be becaause they use the same plug in the 3" guns??
what length should i cut the plug too?
thanks,

Luke
kids who hunt, fish and trap dont mug little old ladys!
Chisholm
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:19 pm

You know I had the same problem and had to just trim until it would work. I take it it is a supermag though???
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:41 am

First make sure you have the plug installed properly acording to the book. sometimes they are just not in right and bind or catch a bit.

If it is in right just trim it very little at a time until it works and then make sure you can not insert more than 2 of the 2-3/4" rounds into the magazine or they will nail you for it.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

plug

Postby dogseat2 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:13 am

I agree make sure its in right, it may not be seated in the cup or end cap, I cleaned mine and had same problem. I took it apart and re adjusted and now works fine.

Scott
dogseat2
hunter

Postby mox » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:31 pm

dogseat and waterfowlhunter are dead on.
i bet the spring cap isn't seated right underneath the magazine cap. i couldn't fit 3 3" shells in an 870 i borrowed from a buddy once. i took the mag cap off and situated the spring cap correctly and everything was perfect. i just use my finger to turn and lock it in.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:19 am

If you do trim it, be careful, as you may be only to fit 2 - 3.5" shells in the magazine, but check it for 2 3/4" shells too, as the game warden can get you for that.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum