GunSmith recommendations

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

GunSmith recommendations

Postby Nhhc » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:58 pm

I have a NEF 12 ga rifled slug gun with iron sights. Looking to have a rail braised onto the barrel to mount a scope. This gun has two barrels one in 12 ga and one in .50 cal. The 50 already has a rail and scope, now Im looking to add a scope to my 12 ga. barrel. There are no gun shops in my area that will do this. So I will have to mail it away.
Can anyone steer me into one that will do this?
<'(Glenn)><
Tarpon 160 Kayak
I kayak fish and kayak hunt.
Stripers=3 over 40 inches
Mallards=
Woodies=
Black=
Geese=
Deer=
Ducks not found=
Nhhc
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:40 pm

Why do you want a rail "brazed" (actually it is not Brazed but a form of silver soldered or oven welded) to the barrel? Why not drill and tap the barrel and mount a weaver style rail that way? I have done this to NEF and Rossi and it works great at a fraction of the cost of having someone mount a rail for you. The last one I checked on having a cantilever rail "welded" to the barrel was over $200 as it is all hand fitted.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Nhhc » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:36 am

The only gunsmith withing driving range of me was going to drill and tap the barrel for me, once I got there he looked at it and told me it was to thin he wouldnt be able to do it. Its a Nef Tracker II Slug Gun with the SB1-014 barrel. I have found one gunsmith who said it would cost about 80$ including parts, that was in Minnesota, was hoping I could find any others. Maybe ones people have used and recommend?
<'(Glenn)><
Tarpon 160 Kayak
I kayak fish and kayak hunt.
Stripers=3 over 40 inches
Mallards=
Woodies=
Black=
Geese=
Deer=
Ducks not found=
Nhhc
hunter