Rem 1100 Steel shot barrel?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Rem 1100 Steel shot barrel?

Postby Mallard1100 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Hey guys whats the story on this? I have a Rem model 1100 my father bought for my grandfather back in the 70's. I wanted to buy the steel shot barrel they are offering for it so I can shoot 3 inch steel loads out of it, because its only a 2 3/4 chamber. Whats the word, some guys are saying yes an some are saying no? Anyone convert there older 1100 with this mod yet?thanks.
"Mess with the best and die like the rest"
-U.S. Marines
Mallard1100
hunter

Postby slothman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:52 pm

I have always just used the 2 3/4" shells and done just fine. I don't have a steel barrel for my old 1100 and I shoot steel out of it. I don't think it will bother it as long as you are not shooting really big shot out of it. I would not go any bigger than #2 or 3 just to be safe. Don't know if I am right or not, but you now have my two cents.

Ryan
The glass is not half empty or half full, it's just twice as big as it needs to be.

If you miss a lot of birds, does that make you a conservationist?
slothman
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:46 am

You CAN NOT safely shoot 3" ammo out of an 1100 that was originally chambered for 2-3/4" ammo Unless you replace the barrel with one of the Remington Steel shot barrels (or possibly Hastings). But still you can not shoot 3" Magnum Lead shot out of the gun that was originally chambered for 2-3/4" It will work with 3" Magnum steel just fine.
Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yareelohim » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:00 pm

Stay away from the steel on the Old 1100 barrels!

I shot a few shots of steel and found a bulge on the under side of the barrel about 3/4 of the way up it. My winchester model 50 is fine for shooting steel shot because of the steel the barrel was made from. The 1100 has a much softer steel I believe. However, there are steel proof barrels that are made for the 1100.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:44 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:I would not take the chance of destroying my grandfathers gun. Just shoot 2-3/4" or get a 3" gun.

Best advice here, IMHO. Or shoot HD loads and pay the price to protect it.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby slothman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:54 pm

I have been told by knowledgeable people that the buldge is strictly cosmetic and that it should not affect the performance of your gun. I believed for a long time that it was a bad thing but now believe that it (the buldge being bad) is a myth.
The glass is not half empty or half full, it's just twice as big as it needs to be.

If you miss a lot of birds, does that make you a conservationist?
slothman
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:22 pm

The people that told you a bulge in a shotgun barrel is OK will never hunt next to me with their damaged guns :thumbsdown:

A bulge was caused by something :huh: and it indicates a high pressure event at that location. If you have a bulge you have a stretched area of steel that is no longer as strong or hard as it once was and is prone to fracture.

IMO you replace a barrel that has damage or cut it off behind the bulge, but even then you can not be certain the the barrel has not been stressed behind that point.

When I was very young I borrowed a Winchester Semi auto that not only had a bulge, the barrel was bent slightly to the one side. I did not know any better and used it for an entire season of upland game. Had it down to hitting everything I shot at once I figured out where the barrel was pointing. Now that I have seen a few blown barrels You will not see me taking that chance. I value my arms and hunting buddies too much for that kind of risk.

Being SAFE is easier than stopping the blood :thumbsup:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

steel and model 1100

Postby duckboz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:28 am

Hi, I am no gun smith but I have been shooting steel thru a model 1100 since 1974 (20 ga. 2 3/4). I have never had any problems (bulges or otherwise). My issue is that it is getting tougher to get shells and the obvious need to let the birds come in. sky busting is out of control. My son and I did witness an exploding barrel two years ago. Another hunter who set up about 50 yds from us had his mossberg 12 ga. barrel explode, The outer `12 inches of the barrel just disintegrated. We had heard what sounded like a weak shot earlier in the morning and can only guess that a wad was hung up in the barrel. I am really glad we weren't in the same blind as this fellow.
duckboz
Newb

Postby REDGUN » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:34 am

If you want to shoot steel out of your 1100, buy a Hastings replacement barrel. They are rated for steel shot.

I am with waterfowlhunter about the 3" shells in the 2 3/4" receiver. I believe your action in too short for the longer shells. The Hastings barrel may say it has a 3" chamber, but I would only shoot 2 3/4" shells out of it.(your current gun). Good luck with whatever you decide.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby ohsay » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:33 pm

I have an 1100 from around that time that's probably had a good 10,000 rounds of steel shot through it. As long as you're not shooting hot loads, or big steel (sticking to numbered steel is a good rule) it should be fine. Wanting to shoot 3" shells is a totally different thing. They probably wouldn't cycle anyway. You'd be able to kill birds with 2 3/4" shells just fine, but if you want to shoot 3" don't do it through that barrel.
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Postby Ned S » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:31 pm

I have three 3 inch barrels for my two 2 3/4 1100's. I shoot 3 inch steel in them all the time, however no 3" lead. These barrels were made for shooting 3'' steel. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby tjc360 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:33 pm

What Ned said.

I started to write a big long explanation, but decided the hell w/ it. Either you will believe us or you won't. The primary factor is the weight of the shot charge. If you want to ponder the physics behind it on your own, go for it. It does work just fine.

Or another way to think about it: Considering product liability issues and the inherent dangers of igniting hand held explosive devices(shotguns), do you really think that they would sell something for this exact purpose w/o making sure you can do it?
tjc360
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:01 pm

tjc360 wrote:What Ned said.

I started to write a big long explanation, but decided the hell w/ it. Either you will believe us or you won't. The primary factor is the weight of the shot charge. If you want to ponder the physics behind it on your own, go for it. It does work just fine.

Or another way to think about it: Considering product liability issues and the inherent dangers of igniting hand held explosive devices(shotguns), do you really think that they would sell something for this exact purpose w/o making sure you can do it?

From the remington Site

RAMAC Description Barrel Length Retail
29505 ‡ Steel Shot 30" VT $253.00
29509 ‡ Steel Shot 26" VT $253.00

WARNING: DO NOT INTERCHANGE WITH MODEL 11-87 SHOTGUN BARRELS.

‡NOTE: Model 1100 Steel Shot Barrels are designed for use with 2-3/4" or 3" Magnum steel or lead shot shells when used on Magnum receivers and 2-3/4" or 3" Magnum steel or 2-3/4" lead shotshells when used on non-Magnum receivers.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Rem 1100 Steel shot barrel?

Postby BADDUCK » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Mallard1100 wrote:Hey guys whats the story on this? I have a Rem model 1100 my father bought for my grandfather back in the 70's. I wanted to buy the steel shot barrel they are offering for it so I can shoot 3 inch steel loads out of it, because its only a 2 3/4 chamber. Whats the word, some guys are saying yes an some are saying no? Anyone convert there older 1100 with this mod yet?thanks.

The 2 3/4" guns won't work properly with 3 inch shells. It is a design issue the action is too short, and if you chamber a 3" shell you could rupture the barrel. If you want a 3" auto buy one, don't convert this one.
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby REM1100 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:44 pm

I have an older rem1100 in 3" full choke and took it to my gunsmith and he reamed out the choke to be the equivlent of modified and it should be ok for steel as some years the barrel was good steel.
I had the same procedure done to my old wingmaster and after 40 years of use it devleoped a bulge slight as the barrels in the older version was weaker.

It is tough to get a steel barrel for a rem1100 oem get a hastings with the choke system
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum