Remington R3 Supercell recoil pad-does it fit wood 870?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Remington R3 Supercell recoil pad-does it fit wood 870?

Postby fishn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:24 pm

Does the R3 fit the Remington 870 Wingmaster with a wood stock? Anyone tried one? Thanks
fishn
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:56 pm

I would call Remington to ask, The reason I say this it that I am looking at recoil pads for my 1187 and some of the pads are listed to fit both but the premier versions seem to have a different part number from a lot of companies.

If you find out anything please post it here as I am looking for one for a 20ga and 12ga 11-87 premier models but I am not home when Remington CS is open. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fishn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Waterfowlhunter, I ordered one last night from Cabela's with some other stuff. Then I went to Remington's website today and found question answer area. One answer said the R3 was designed for "new" wood stocks. I got on live chat with Cabela's and they gave me a "technical" guy and he said Remington says they will fit the older models. However, if you read the reviews on the Cabela's sight, sure sounds questionable. Guess we will see when it gets here, but I'm guessing I will be sending it back and ordering a Limbsaver. I'll try to remember to let you know how it turns out.
fishn
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:59 am

Thanks, I just picked up the Limbsaver from Bass Pro for to try on my 20ga but will not have time to fit it until next week. I still want an r3 for the 12 but will wait and see how yours fits.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fishn » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:46 am

Waterfowlhunter, we got the R3 on Friday and put it on. Man, the screws in the Wingmaster were hard to get out! Of course, I guess that happens when they have been in there since the gun was bought 35 years ago. Anyway, thank the Good Lord we got them out, got the new pad on and it fits pretty well. Not perfectly, if you are a real perfectionist it may not be good enough, but it was for us. I thought it was just a little off center, but overall, I was pretty pleased. Dad shot the gun Sat and I asked how it did and he said he didn't even notice it. In the past, he did. He only shot 2-3 times, so we will see how he likes it after he hopefully (Good Lord willing) shoots it more. But right now, it seems like a pretty good fit and a good buy.
fishn
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:28 am

Thanks for the Info. I will probably try one if it does not fit right I can always sell it off.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum