SX3 trigger group pins

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

SX3 trigger group pins

Postby ultramagfan2000 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:14 pm

I have had my Sx3 a little over a year now and suddenly my pins that hold the trigger group in work themselves out after about 6 shots. I have measured the diameter of each end and have flipped over and tried every thing I can think of. Any body else having this problem???? :huh:
ultramagfan2000
hunter

Postby ohsay » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:40 pm

Hmm, not I. Mine is pretty new (spring), but I've put thousands of rounds through it with no issues. The don't wear thin or anything, so I'm assuming either they or the holes were out of spec on yours to begin with. I'd make sure they're free of oil and if they keep sliding out try someone else's SX3 pins in it to see if replacements would help. I've used pins from other guns before when ones have been lost. I'm not sure which would work in the SX3.
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Postby don taylor » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:35 pm

I've never heard of that happening on any shotgun.

I agree with Ohsay, sounds like the reciever holes are too big. That sucks. Clear nailpolish will hold it in place till the seasons over and you can send it to Winchester. That's a craftsmanship issue in my book and should be repaired.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ultramagfan2000 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:51 pm

thanks for the info I just haven't had time to have it looked at by my local gunsmith just for his 2 cents worth. He is always happy to give advice or get me going till the hunt is over
ultramagfan2000
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:13 am

I will llook at one later today but I thought that the pins had a retention groove and they kind of "snapped" in on an internal spring that caught the groove. I am not sure on this but I know some have this and I thought the Winchesters did too. Have you ever dissasembled the trigger group? possible got a spring out of the little slot in the retention pin hole?

Just something to check.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GOHEREBAY » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:51 am

that is odd. i have one now that i have put a few hundred rounds through.....all in hunting and its only 3 weeks old and my pins are harder than hell to get out and back in.
GOHEREBAY
hunter

Postby ultramagfan2000 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:45 pm

Well I found the problem the little retainer spring that fits over the end of the bushing the pins go through was bent. I ordered two new ones and have fixed the old one for now thanks for the imput on that waterfowlhunter I can't believe I over looked that maybe I was just to frustrated. :thumbsup: This gun has had somewhere between 2000 and 3000 shot fired through it and the only malfunction so far was probly because I got in a hurry and bent the retaining spring. I hope you guys all like your SX3 as much as I do. :biggrin:
ultramagfan2000
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:53 pm

Glad I could help, but most of all I am glad you found the problem. I have seen people do that before and bring me their guns to fix. Usually they don't bend them, but just do not get them installed properly.

I bet You wont do that again will you :yes:

:welcome:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ultramagfan2000 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:45 pm

Well here it is a month later and I still don't have my new retaining spring for my trigger group pins according to the gunsmith I ordered them through they are a restricted item from browning and winchester. And he hasn't been able to get them,anybody got any ideas????
ultramagfan2000
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:26 pm

Contact winchester customer service directly. also check with brownells and numrich.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum