SBEII Recoil Spring Tube Washer?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

SBEII Recoil Spring Tube Washer?

Postby ATX-Ducks » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:43 am

At the end of last season I decided to take the recoil spring out of my SBEII for cleaning. Not thinking, I pulled the bolt back before unscrewing the recoil spring tube bolt, so as soon as it got loose the recoil spring shot across the room...

So, I want to make sure I didn't lose anything. Is there a washer or anything else in that recoil spring tube, or is it just the spring?

Thanks!
ATX-Ducks
hunter

Postby goose2 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:57 pm

If you have a owners manual it will show you the break down of parts. I would look for you but my manual is at home.

Your lucky that thing didn't whack you in the face when it shot out of there. :eek:
goose2
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:47 am

I have had several of these apart and the only thing in the tube that I found is the spring and the plunger. I will check my drawings later if I get time.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ATX-Ducks » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:45 pm

Yeah, I definitely could have injured myself on that one...

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I looked through the manual and there wasn't an exploded view, but I'll look again. Thanks.
ATX-Ducks
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:06 pm

There is no view of that assembly in the manual. They do not really intend for the "user" to go that far into dissasembly. but you can find it online with some searching.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

SBE II enertia spring tube cleaning.

Postby singlereed » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Is there a trick to cleaning this? I removed my recoil pad and found a lot of moisture inside. Since there was nothing in the owners manual about removing and cleaning this, I went to a local gunsmith and paid to have it cleaned ($30). When I asked for information on how to remove and clean, the staff said that only a professional can do this. The gun would not cycle the shells fast prior to the cleaning. Any help would be appreciated.
singlereed
Newb

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:49 am

You can clean it after you completely disasemble the gun and remove the stock. In most cases you just flush it out with a cleaning solution such as brake clean (non clorinated). There is a hole at the bottom that the cleaner tube will fit in and then with your cleaning rod you work the plunger and spring in and out from the receiver end. keep doing this until your cleaner runs out clear. Then LIGHTLY oil it and work the plunger in and out a few more time to distribute the oil. there is really no reason to remove the spring and plunger from the tube.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:05 pm

I use a small gauge or pistol caliber bore snake to clean mine..then wipe down the spring and plunger with solvent to clean and reinstall. However be very careful with lubrication as Benelli has recommended the recoil spring assembly be run dry in the past. This may have changed, but some lubricants can add to the assembly gumming up and therefore used to recommend to not lubricate.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum