Super X 2 ejection problem

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Super X 2 ejection problem

Postby H2O Fowler » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:59 pm

Anyone knoow how to go about fixing my gun. i always clean it, i have a bought new spring and it still will not ejec shells. it will eject maybe the first 4 or 5 anf then it could jam up on the following 50. low brass, steel shot, high brass, you name it i jam it.
H2O Fowler
hunter

Postby BADDUCK » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:20 am

I assume you put in a new bolt return spring. Is the spring tube completely clean inside and straight? Is the spring follower in good condition.

Mine did this when the spring tube rusted on the inside and damaged the follower. After that, as long as the gas system is completely clean it should work.
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby H2O Fowler » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:45 am

spring tube is spotless, i put a new spring and follower in it, still seems to jam up. the gas ports have some powder residue in them but i cant get it out, have any suggestions?
H2O Fowler
hunter

Postby BADDUCK » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:05 pm

H2O Fowler wrote:spring tube is spotless, i put a new spring and follower in it, still seems to jam up. the gas ports have some powder residue in them but i cant get it out, have any suggestions?

Sorry no, that fixed mine. Has it done this since you owned it or is this recent? If you are talking about the barrel gas ports a good powder solvent on a pipe cleaner should get that.
BADDUCK

Postby H2O Fowler » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:17 pm

The gun started doing it about 2 years into using it. Since i cant seem to fix it and i get so aggrevated when i go out duckin and shoot one shot and go to get another off and find out my first shell never ejected i just stopped using the gun. luckily i have an 870 pump as a back up and i have been using the pump ever since, the X2 just sits in the gun safe.
H2O Fowler
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:35 pm

It sounds to me more like the gas system. I am working on a Browning (same system) that had simular issues. Have you replaced the "O" Ring yet? If it is dried out or missing this could be your problem. The gas piston should be clean as shown and the o-ring soft and flexable. Remove it carefully and inspect it for damage.

I have had to rebuild the gas piston on these before, It takes a special tool to do so. Sometimes you can just give it a good soaking in something like brake parts cleaner (do not use carb cleaner) or a Hoppes Solvent. Let it soak overnight and then scrub it out with a tooth brush and hot soapy water. Swish it around a lot and then blow it out good with compressed air. Lube it LIGHTLY and try it again. or It might be bad.

You can get into the barrel gas ports with a pipe cleaner as Badduck mentioned or a dental pick. but soak the ports with Gun Scrubber first for about 15 min then try to clean them out. The canned air with the plastic tube for cleaning computers works great for blowing them out.

just curious but is this a 24" Model?
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby H2O Fowler » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:17 pm

I could not help but laugh when i read "is this the 24" model?" Yes it is, is the gun your having problems with the same? Thank you so much for the picture it helped me locate that O ring, i have not replaced it yet but i will be doing that very soon. I will let you know how it turns out. thanks again
H2O Fowler
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:53 pm

H2O Fowler wrote:I could not help but laugh when i read "is this the 24" model?" Yes it is, is the gun your having problems with the same? Thank you so much for the picture it helped me locate that O ring, i have not replaced it yet but i will be doing that very soon. I will let you know how it turns out. thanks again

I just see it more with 24" guns. The longer barrel looks to be more tollerant of gas system issues probably due to the slightly (VERY VERY slightly) Longer pressure curve. I do not Know this for sure yet but am doing some testing and that is why I ask.

Glad the pictures helped.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:54 pm

Another thing that can cause problems is the carbon steel spring inside the gas valve. I broke one of them, and it will cause the gun to jam. You'd have to take a flashlight or something to be able to see the crack, but I've heard that this is a fairly common problem.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby BADDUCK » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:19 am

I once worked on a 26" gun that had been mag-na-ported. That gun would not cycle 2 3/4" shells but would cycle all the longer shells. I know that's a little different situation than yours but the pressure curve was different in that situation as well. However, I would think your gun would cycle some loads reliably. I guess rebuilding the gas piston is worth a shot. It sounds like the action is slowing down once the tube and piston get only slightly dirty.
BADDUCK

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum