After market thin wall choke tubes

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

After market thin wall choke tubes

Postby vacuum6 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:37 pm

Does anyone, other than briley, make aftermarket thinwall choke tubes? i have a Miroku built 20 ga. O/U that has less than .700 outside dimensions. Also, it is chrome lined. I would like to have carlson's do this but my barrels are too thin...they specify i need to have OD of at least .700 on a 20 ga. briley is not in my strike zone for prices....although i do like their work.
vacuum6
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:03 pm

Tru-Choke is specifically made for thin wall barrels. These work great and have a lot of chokes available. You can buy the tools to do it yourself (lathe recommended) from Brownells or you can send it in to have it done. You will have to do a web search and possibly find a local smith that does tru-choke.

The downfall is that they are rated for Lead shot only due to the thin wall of the choke and of the barrel after reaming.

I am not sure if the Briley will accept steel shot in their thinwall tubes either. I have no experience with them in this area.

After S&H is figured in You are looking at around $250 for an O/U in and $150 for a semi from what I have seen.

Here is one guy that does them
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewIt ... =114604470
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vacuum6 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:11 pm

tru-choke, even for the thinwall tubes, require .705 OD. i have less than .700. bummer.
vacuum6
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:42 pm

Your right. I did not check the tap Dia first but The 20ga taps are .675 and with a .700 barrel you would have .0125" wall thickness after installation. That would not work too well now would it.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum