choke?????????

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

choke?????????

Postby crazymallardhunter » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:44 pm

what is better a mod or a full for longer range shots i can only shot 3'' shells
crazymallardhunter
hunter

Postby goose2 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:53 pm

They say not to use full choke with steel shot. I know people who use there mod for everything.With that said, I use a extended Carlson full with BB and smaller less than 1450' per second shells when I am trying to reach out and touch something. :thumbsup:
goose2
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:52 am

Pattern your gun and see what you get with the full and mod. 1st make sure your full choke tube does not say "lead shot only" and check your manual. then pattern them.

I have found that some Full chokes will blow the pattern and some IC's give better patterns than Mods. It all depends on the gun and the choke tube used. My Benellis Like the factory Mod choke and the Briley Goosse for long shots. The factory IC works for decoy work.
Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: choke?????????

Postby BADDUCK » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:21 pm

crazymallardhunter wrote:what is better a mod or a full for longer range shots i can only shot 3'' shells

I use Modified for steel in almost everything including my 10 Ga BPS. My 11-87 throws the best patters with a Hastings Skeet II choke. My SX2 patterns best with modified even though it has Briley long steel shot tubes.
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum