cutting a barrel

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

cutting a barrel

Postby bluewing77 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:04 am

i have a 32" vent rib bbl that gets zero use. was thinking of cutting it down to 22" or 24" and having threaded for extra full turkey choke. any thoughts, recommendations, experience with this? kinda wish it didnt have the VR, and then the chopping wouldnt look quite so obvious. cut and rebead is fairly cheap, ~ $50 i think the last smith i called.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby Johnch » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:46 am

I had Briley cut a 30" full barrel back 1 rib suport and thread it for tubes , ended up about 27 3/4"

Normaly you cut a barrel back , so the front or center of a rib suport is at the end of the barrel

After figuring the cost of a new barrel and what I figured I could sell the old one for
Vers the cost to ship the barrel to them , pay to have it cut and the cost of tubes

I figured it would have been cheaper to buy a new barrel

But if you have a gun that barrels are just not avaible , then cutting is probely cheaper

John
I only work to aford so I can aford to hunt

Steel 90% of the time
HD or Hevi 10% of the time when the ducks and geese don't play fair
Johnch
hunter

Postby BADDUCK » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:48 pm

I have had 3 done. You are better off having the smith who is threading the barrel for the chokes do all the work. He will want to measure and face off the barrel. Not all barrels can be threaded, better to measure first. If it's real close just sell the barrel.
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:17 am

As stated above It is usually cheaper to sell that barrel you have on GB and buy what you want if you are not doing it yourself. :thumbsup:

I have cut many of them for people and some just wanted an 18.5" defense barrel or a 22" deer barrel. Just measure the OD at the point you want it cut and you can determine if it can be tapped. Some just leave them with the cyl bore as they work great for slugs and BuckShot that way But not much good as a turkey barrel :yes:

I measure and then cut them even with a rib support then, if not threading it, "crown" the barrel and re-blue it to prevent rust. the bead is the easy part and takes all of 5 min to drill and tap for the bead. A smith has to do a few just to recover the cost of the tooling. Taps and reamers are about $90 each Plus all the pilot bushings to match the barrel ID (inside dia.) which are only about $10 each but there are about 20 of them. not to mention a lathe which he should have anyway.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby atwoodflash » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:54 am

We could do the work (Carlson's) it would be $20 to shorten the barrel and $125 to thread the barrel and you would get three flush or one extended tube with that package. We run a two or three day turnaround. If you would like more info PM me! :thumbsup:
atwoodflash
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:26 am

That's a deal, right there! Can I have any thread/choke put in? I have a ton of beretta chokes that I'd love to be able to swap into a fixed choke gun browning and Franchi.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:28 am

That's a deal, right there! Can I have any thread/choke put in? I have a ton of beretta chokes that I'd love to be able to swap into a fixed choke gun browning and Franchi.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum