problems with stoeger 200 12 gauge

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

problems with stoeger 200 12 gauge

Postby duckmanz71 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:01 am

This spring I bought a new stoeger semi-auto, 12 gauge, and I've shot about 500 rounds through it, last weekend it started not firing when I pull the trigger while hunting. To sum it up, the firing pin would hit the cap on the shell, but aparently not hard enough to set the round off. I tore the gun apart and cleaned everything thouroughly, including removing the fireing pin. tonight I duck hunted and fired about 12 shells and I had 2 mis fires. I have been shooting different brands, and have notice that the latest remington shells I have bought, that the cap seems to sit a little farther into the shell but that still should be the problem, I've never had a shotgun not shoot certain kinds of shells. I've got an old 1100 that is older than I am and have never had a problem. Is it possible possible that some of the springs are either, worn out or too strong, inhibiting the ejection and shooting action?
duckmanz71
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:40 pm

On things is if the bolt is not closing all the way. Then it won't fire.

If it is closing all the way then I would say that it is the firing pin, I would get it to a gunsmith and have then lengthen it and it will probably be fixed.
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckmanz71 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:29 pm

badandy970 wrote:On things is if the bolt is not closing all the way. Then it won't fire.

If it is closing all the way then I would say that it is the firing pin, I would get it to a gunsmith and have then lengthen it and it will probably be fixed.

what do you mean by that? I guess I'm going to have to call bennelli on monday.
duckmanz71
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:05 pm

If the bolt is hanging up for some reason and is not fully engaging in the locks it will not fire.

I have had this happen when I first got mine. I take it apart and cleaned it after every time I shoot it. I have never had to problem again.

I would look it over real good and clean the bolt locks.

Push the cartridge release and retract the bolt and it will lock to the rear. Then put a shell in it and push the bolt release and it will close. Then put one in the magazine. Shoot the first shell and go to safe and look at the bolt and make sure that it is closed all the way, and shoot it again.

Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:55 am

if the bolt does not close all the way on the stoeger or Benelli in general you will get a "click" and NO dent on the fireing pin at all. if you are getting the dent but it is "soft" Look at the picture below and make sure your fireing pin has not flattened or broke the end off. also make sure that the hole in the bolt has been cleaned with a good powder solvent (soak it overnight) and then run a pipe cleaner thru it several times. I have a drill bit that it the proper size for fireing pin holes I use as a go no-go gauge of sorts. also a good thing you can try is to spray it out with a NON-CLORINATED brake cleaner and then hit it with compressed air in case there is something you can not see holding things up. this particular one has about 1000 rounds thru it and not one problem so far.

If you get no dent at all then check the bolt. there is a recess in the barrel where the Extractor closes into and then turns to the other side of the opening when the bolt is fully closed. make sure this is happening. It is hard to crud one up enough to keep the bolt from closing but it possible. also check the ridge inside the barrel chamber where the shell rim hits. Scrape it out if there is crud in there too

"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Johnny Vegas » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:39 pm

A relative of mine had the EXACT same problem with his stoeger-2 trips back to the factory- same problem then he sold it
Johnny Vegas
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:08 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:if the bolt does not close all the way on the stoeger or Benelli in general you will get a "click" and NO dent on the fireing pin at all. if you are getting the dent but it is "soft" Look at the picture below and make sure your fireing pin has not flattened or broke the end off. also make sure that the hole in the bolt has been cleaned with a good powder solvent (soak it overnight) and then run a pipe cleaner thru it several times. I have a drill bit that it the proper size for fireing pin holes I use as a go no-go gauge of sorts. also a good thing you can try is to spray it out with a NON-CLORINATED brake cleaner and then hit it with compressed air in case there is something you can not see holding things up. this particular one has about 1000 rounds thru it and not one problem so far.

If you get no dent at all then check the bolt. there is a recess in the barrel where the Extractor closes into and then turns to the other side of the opening when the bolt is fully closed. make sure this is happening. It is hard to crud one up enough to keep the bolt from closing but it possible. also check the ridge inside the barrel chamber where the shell rim hits. Scrape it out if there is crud in there too

Really great advice. Haven't had a problem yet with my M2000. Good to learn good cleaning techniques as a preventative measure.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby BADDUCK » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:14 am

It doesn't sound like a cleaning problem to me. It could be a combination of tolerences between your gun and the shells you are using causing the problem. That is not to say that is O K it is not. The gun should work with all factory spec shells or I would fix it.

Just remember you have several items that could affect firing pin strike. Such as; length of the firing pin, depth of the chamber, thickness of the shell rim, primer seating depth, dimensions of the firing pin hole through the bolt head, spring power, etc. If you get an accumulation of those dimensional differences going against you the gun won't fire in some cases. There is no way someone can "guess" at a solution. A gunsmith or factory tech will need to measure the critical dimensions against spec.
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:27 pm

Well, I hope you get this whole thing sorted out soon. Nothing makes me more frustrated that having a malfuctioning gun.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:23 am

Ok, so this weekend, 4 days hunting I fired probably 2 boxes of shells through my M2000. 3 times I heard click...twice I found the live shell that didn't fire. One had a small dimple on it and the other nothing. The night before I had the bolt all apart and cleaned the firing pin, spring and hole really good. Just wondering how to help prevent this in the future. I followed your advice and still had 2 misfires. :huh: First problems ever since I bought it in August.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:08 am

are you bumping the gun at all when you sit it down? I have seen the bolt on these open slightly if bumped a bit when sitting them down on the stock to lean them in the blind. How many rounds did you fire that did work? The 'No dent" would most likely be the bolt being unseated from the barrel. The slight dent could be this too if it was just barely unseated. If you were closer I could look at in the shop for you.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:20 pm

I was thinking the same thing about he "no dent" shell, the bolt not being seated. I'm trying to remember, but I think the "small dent" was on my second shot and the "no dent" would've been my first. Like I said, the day before the hunt I completely cleaned the action/trigger assembly/bolt etc. There wasn't any part of the firing pic worn or broke off either. Although it was just two incidents around the same time, it worked like a charm the rest of the day. :huh: Any thoughts/ suggestions?
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:36 pm

BUMP...Any suggestions Waterfowlhunter?
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:10 am

Have you used it more since the issues (trap or skeet?) just to see if it is ok. Have you dissasembled it again to make sure everything is correct?

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby badandy970 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:36 am

I just remembered one thing that I did, take the recoil spring and stretch it about and extra 2 inches. That seemed to keep the bolt closed all the way.
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:00 pm

I haven't had it apart since Tuesday when I cleaned it last. Should I measure the spring/firing pin to make sure they are correct length or what?

Tonight I'll take another look at it before the morning hunt. I'll stretch out the recoil spring too just in case.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby duckmanz71 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:56 am

Well since I started this topic and haven't posted, here is what I've found so far. I've torn the action completely apart just like in the diagram shown before. I've run a pipe cleaner right down the firing pin chamber and cleaned everything thouroughly. Today I shot the gun probably 10 times, and I had 1 dud that cost me at least 1 dead bird cosidering it was a flock of 3 and the first shot was the dud. I've cleaned the gun completely at least 3 or 4 times now and I still have duds but the duds are only the remington shells. I have noticed that the remington shell have a slightly recessed cap compared to the winchester shells that are flush with the shell end. The winchester X shells shoot fine and they pattern my gun very well but it is a pain in the ass to only be able to shoot X's , should be able to shoot any shells no matter what. I called Benelli this week and they told me 4 to 6 weeks so I think I'm going to just try and make little adjustments with the springs and see what happens and then send it out after the season is over. I looked at the picture that someone posted above of the fireing pin and mine looks the same, but i suppose it is possible that the very tip has been worn just a little, its hard to tell, I just took a coupel turns out of the firing pin spring. but I still had the 1 dud this morning. I see someone mentioned about about stretching another spring out (recoil spring), is it the heavy duty one that goes into the bolt? should I stretch that alittle so the chamber closes tighter?
duckmanz71
hunter

Postby Spj » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:00 pm

Join the club of the light primer strike m2000 owners :huh: I plan on sending mine in as soon as the season is over. I am getting darn quick at malfunction clearences :no: I just have to remember to tilt my gun down because is sucks to hear the splash of a 75 cent round going in the drink over the side of the boat. FYI it first happend to me with remington and also happens with Kents.
Spj
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Well I shot probably 15 times and killed some ducks too! But all shells went off fine (Kents). I looked at some of the hulls, and the primer strikes are a little light for my liking. See if I can stretch the firing pin spring out again. :huh: Kinda odd though, must be a common malfuntion due to design.... :huh:

Can you call in and just say you need say, a firing pin, or spring or what ever. Will they send the part to you, or do you have to send the whole gun in?

Waterfowlhunter, and thoughts since you seem to have good advice that we all need. lol
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:15 am

duckmanz71 wrote:I see someone mentioned about about stretching another spring out (recoil spring), is it the heavy duty one that goes into the bolt? should I stretch that alittle so the chamber closes tighter?

No, The spring that some stretch is actually the bolt return spring. on a stoeger it is the spring located in the forend that closes the bolt. I would not mess with that at all. if some ammo fires reliably, I would just shoot that until you can have it repaired properly.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Spj » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Streching springs is really never a good idea, if it needs to be streched the spring is worn out, you might delay the inevitable, but it needs to be replaced.
Spj
hunter

Postby ryknuts » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:04 pm

i had the same problem with this gun....

i cleaned the bolt, scrubbed the barrel, and it did not fix it. i went out snow goose'n and before i left the truck, i decided to take a quick look at the barrel, so i removed it. what i found was the grove where the bolt locks into was heavily dirtied up. i took out my trusty leatherman and cleaned it out, actually i dug and dug. i haven't had a problem since!! the dirt in the grove may be a little hard to see, but trust me, yours is probably gunked up! i put about the same amount of shells through it too! About 500. other than this learning experience, i have not had a single problem with the gun.

Good Luck!
if they are com'n, im gonna be shoot'n

KILL EM...... BOOM!
ryknuts
Newb

Postby BADDUCK » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:05 pm

Spj wrote:Streching springs is really never a good idea, if it needs to be streched the spring is worn out, you might delay the inevitable, but it needs to be replaced.

I agree, springs will just return to the original "set". The spring that is most suspect is the hammer spring. With some designs it can be shimmed to provide a little more power, but I don't know about your gun. If you haven't worked with gun springs before you may want to leave it alone.
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:57 pm

I unscrewed the barrel extention and cleaned all that junk out where the bolt locks into the barrel. There was a lot of crap in there, so hopefully that fixed it. Every weekend I clean the whole action so I really don't know why it was having some problems. :huh:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:52 pm

njonesy_07 wrote:I unscrewed the barrel extention and cleaned all that junk out where the bolt locks into the barrel. There was a lot of crap in there, so hopefully that fixed it. Every weekend I clean the whole action so I really don't know why it was having some problems. :huh:

This is what I mentioned before, about the groove / recess in the barrel where the bolt turns into. NEVER stretch the fireing pin spring. you think it hits soft now, Just stretch that spring and you will have no dent at all. The purpose of the fireing pin spring is to return the fireing pin to the "ready" position so that when that Hammer hits it it is fully rearward. if you remove the spring you will get miss-fires, depending on the angle of the gun. A too weak or too strong spring can cause a miss-fire too. Easier at this poing to have a smith take a look at it or just send it in after season and have it fixed right. Give them a good discreption of the issues including the ammo used so that they can recreate the issue.

Hope you have it corrected. If not It could even be a weak hammer spring.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum