problems with stoeger 200 12 gauge

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Postby duckmanz71 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:58 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
njonesy_07 wrote:I unscrewed the barrel extention and cleaned all that junk out where the bolt locks into the barrel. There was a lot of crap in there, so hopefully that fixed it. Every weekend I clean the whole action so I really don't know why it was having some problems. :huh:

This is what I mentioned before, about the groove / recess in the barrel where the bolt turns into. NEVER stretch the fireing pin spring. you think it hits soft now, Just stretch that spring and you will have no dent at all. The purpose of the fireing pin spring is to return the fireing pin to the "ready" position so that when that Hammer hits it it is fully rearward. if you remove the spring you will get miss-fires, depending on the angle of the gun. A too weak or too strong spring can cause a miss-fire too. Easier at this poing to have a smith take a look at it or just send it in after season and have it fixed right. Give them a good discreption of the issues including the ammo used so that they can recreate the issue.

Hope you have it corrected. If not It could even be a weak hammer spring.

A few weeks ago when mine first started having misfires, I tore it completely apart and did notice some build up in that area of the barrel. Since then I've made sure it is squeaky clean but I still have misfires. I did have 1 dud this past sunday and it was a remington shell but as long as I tear my gun apart once a week, I haven't had any problems with the winchester super x shell 3 inch mags. I think I have it more or less narrowed down to either a weak spring, firing pin, or hammer pin, or maybe for some reason the firing pin itself has deformed ever so slightly on the end where it contacts the cap.
duckmanz71
hunter

Postby duckhunter1981 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:43 am

I used my s2000 last duck season with no problems. this season it started misfiring and i took it completly apart for the first time cleaned it really well and it was filthy from the factory (was not expecting that). i shot 100 heavy load rounds through it and 1 in 5 misfired and they all had dents. but ive been looking up this prob for about a week and everyone i see who sends in there guns, they come back with the same prob i brought mine to a gunsmith and he hasnt gotten to it yet but when i find out what it is i will repost on here to let everyone know. i did here that these guns are just slaped togethere and they dont clean off any burs or test fire like they do for benelli. this prob really botherd me cause it was my first semi-auto shotgun and i loved the way it fits me and fells and when i get my tax money back im probably going buy that benelli sbe2 as long as it feels the same. As soon as i find out what is wrong i will repost.
duckhunter1981
hunter

Postby duckhunter1981 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:34 am

update- my gunsmith thought he fixed the problem and tried explaning it to me but it was well beyond my knowledge. So when i went go shot it the gun had the same problem and now it is back with him and if he doesnt fix it this time i am sending it back to stoeger!

the gunsmith i brought it to is very good after i told my friends who i brought it to they all told me that he does very good work and they know alot of ppl who bring their guns to them and from what i understand i am the first to not get fixed the 1st time.

i am going buy a benelli and try and get my stoeger fixed even if i have to keep seending it back till i get a new one and put it in my safe to probably never be used again! I do make sure to tell all of my friends not to buy a stoeger cause u def. get what u pay for.
duckhunter1981
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:36 am

This seems to be a widespread problem. I first read about it last year.

If it is firing every shell at temps above 40 f, but will sometimes fail to fire the first round in temps below 40 f and it gets worse the colder it is, the fix is to disolve ALL of the factory lube/grease inside the bolt and flush it out.

Re-lube the inside of the bolt with a LIGHT gun oil, load three shells, point, shoot, repeat. Go get the dead ducks.

It seems that the factory lube turns into "molasses in January" and slows down the firing pin enough to get a weak pin strike.

The same thing happened to my partner last week (23 deg f) for the first time with his M2000. He soaked the bolt in starter fluid to disolve the grease and it worked fine the rest of the day.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby xtrema2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:54 am

my cousin had an m2000 that had light primer strikes so he took it here and we took it apart alongside of my m2000 and he was missing the spring that goes over the firing pin..
xtrema2
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:59 pm

My sons 2000 has only about 1500 rounds thru it but is has not developed this issue yet. I get great primer hits no matter what the temp is. If it does start having this issue I will be a bit surprised. the primer dents are as deep as any other I have had.

I do know that when cleaning it I can tell that there is no where near as much tension on the hammer spring as my Beneli has.

One last thing to check on these with the issue. When the hammer is released and in the uncocked position, Inspect it closely. Make sure it does not look like it is hiting the edge of the bolt or rubbing on something on the way up. I will open this one up again and see if I can see any other possibilities.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckhunter1981 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:28 pm

I got mine back and it works fine now. i dont know what u call it but the whole piece that slides back and fourth the holds the firing pin in it ( im have a major hangover right now) that piece wasnt sliding all the way up it was stopping like 1/4 inch short and that was causing the missfires casue it would still push the firing pin jusnt not hard enough to fire the shell . if it missfires look and see if u can push it up a little and thats the problem not sure how to fix it thought hope this helps
duckhunter1981
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum