Browning B2000 fail to load

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Browning B2000 fail to load

Postby ucsdryder » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:10 pm

Ok guys, I have been hunting a lot this year and have been trying to keep my Browning B2000 12gauge in top conidition. I am shooting 3" steel mags for ducks and 2 3/4" for chukar. Everytime I get back from a trip I spray it down with the hopps degreaser and then spray some remington oil on it and then wipe it down. Anyways, I had 4 failure to loads. Usually I don't clean the dang thing until it gets so gunked up that the receiver doesn't close and then I will clean it. Never had problems, but since I started cleaning it, it is acting up. After spraying the rem oil on it should I wipe it down or leave the oil on it? Am I over oiling it?

I am not breaking down the gun completely, meaning I am not taking apart the receiver.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
ucsdryder
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:43 pm

I would completely break it down, soak, clean, LIGHTLY lubricate all internal parts and reassemble it. Simply spraying degreaser or cleaner inside, blowing it out and lubricating will not totally remove heavy, built up residue and gunk (although it is not a bad idea to do so on occasion)...guns just need to be stripped bare and totally cleaned on occasion.

If you aren't comfortable doing the job take it to a gunsmith for a cleaning job and inspection. Chances are it is just a buildup of residue but you may have a piece that needs to be repaired or replaced.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:49 am

sounds like you have a build up inside that needs a complete cleaning. I never have liked spary oil for a gun, I like to place the oil directly where needed and if wiping down the outside I just put a couple drops on a gun cloth and wipe down the gun. Too much Oil is always a bad thing on a semi-auto especially if it gets cold.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum