Cleaning my new gun and broken gun

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Cleaning my new gun and broken gun

Postby GDonham » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:12 pm

Hello, this is my first time here. I have what is probably a stupid question but, I baby my guns. This past weekend we went hunting at the coast. I shot 1 bird then looked over at my buddy who was cussin. His gun broke after one shot (I'm not sure he even hit anything) I told him that I would share my gun with him. I shot one more bird then tried to pump it and my gun was busted!! What are the chances of 2 guns breaking with in 5 minutes. Mine can be fixed but his can not. Anyways I was mad and had to single shot it the rest of the evening. Nothing like having your fingers pinched but I was determined to finish hunting. That evening I bought a new gun since we had already paid for a morning hunt (ok I really wanted another gun). I bought a Stoeger 2000 camo. How do I clean it? I'm worried about messing up the camo. Another question I have is how do I stop my "old" gun from rusting. The salt really did some damage to it. I cleaned and oiled it and the rust is back today!

Genevieve
Genevieve
GDonham
hunter

Postby BADDUCK » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:33 pm

You can use a product like "Break Free" to wipe down the exterior of both guns. Don't use WD-40 or other solvent on the exterior. 0000 steel wool with Break Free rubbed lightly on the rusted areas will help. Keep that gun oily on the exterior while storing.
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby GDonham » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:42 pm

Thanks, I'll pick some up on my way home. Is it true that the camo "coating" on the gun will prevent it from rusting? I didn't wipe it down with hoppes solvent, I was afraid to but I wanted to clean it. and I have a hard time beliving the kid that worked at Academy. I'm not quite old enough to be his mama but I'm damn sure old enough to be his daddy's second wife :biggrin:
Genevieve
GDonham
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:25 pm

The camo finish on the stoeger will handle the salt spray and the cleaning solutions. You do not have to oil the camo but do wipe down all the exposed metal with a gun cloth to give them a very light layer of oil. my 11-87 would rust as soon as I took it out of the case up in Maine where I once lived. Never had a camo gun there but wish I did.

The stoeger is VERY simple to clean, remove the forend and barrel and the bolt slides out, Clean it all, LIGHTLY oil then wipe off the oil leaving only a film. Run a bore snake down the barrel a few times with bore solvent. (i use a cleaner / oil combination) Then reassemble, About 10 min job at the most. If there is a lot of plastic build-up in the bore you will have to let the bore cleaner soak a few minutes then clea :thumbsup: n it.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum