Fiber optic front bead

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Fiber optic front bead

Postby tpedersen3118 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:36 am

I recently swapped out the front fiber optic that came with my Franchi Affinity for a different one. The new one comes with green, red, and white options and with various sizes for the green and red. Just curious as to what some of you prefer (green or red) and more importantly to me what size (diameter). I can see a benefit to a larger bead to pick up quicker but what are some of the drawbacks to it?
tpedersen3118
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Fiber optic front bead

Postby 3200 man » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:29 am

One thing for sure ! With any bead ( some what "more"with brightly colored beads ) by the time your eye focuses on
the bead and then back on the target , a flying target has out run the speed of the barrels swing making you shoot behind
it ! With a total hard focus on the leading front edge of the target , the GAP of forward allowance comes with experience
for the targets situation of flight !

Beads are for aligning the CANT of the gun.....which is normally fixed with the stocks fit ! :thumbsup:

But they a PURTIE..... :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby tpedersen3118 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:59 pm

3200 man wrote:One thing for sure ! With any bead ( some what "more"with brightly colored beads ) by the time your eye focuses on
the bead and then back on the target , a flying target has out run the speed of the barrels swing making you shoot behind
it ! With a total hard focus on the leading front edge of the target , the GAP of forward allowance comes with experience
for the targets situation of flight !

Beads are for aligning the CANT of the gun.....which is normally fixed with the stocks fit ! :thumbsup:

But they a PURTIE..... :lol3: :lol3:

I get what you are saying about leading birds and where your focus should be (lead edge of the rib). I use my front sight (on my duck gun) as a reference point only, not as a point of where I want my round to go obviously as the target is moving. A hand gun or rifle however I'm looking at point of aim, point of impact with my sights.

I guess I'm just trying to understand the rational for having various diameters of fiber optic beads, seems like personal preference more than anything
tpedersen3118
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:24 pm

They are good in low light for stationary targets. That's about the only use I can see.
Well, are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?
z51
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:42 pm

tpedersen3118 wrote:I recently swapped out the front fiber optic that came with my Franchi Affinity for a different one. The new one comes with green, red, and white options and with various sizes for the green and red. Just curious as to what some of you prefer (green or red) and more importantly to me what size (diameter). I can see a benefit to a larger bead to pick up quicker but what are some of the drawbacks to it?

Green for low light, red for sunny, white for cloudy.
BBK
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:48 pm

For those who say you don't need a bead, or to take it off. George Digweed (26 time world champion, 18 time euro champion, 116 time international champion, 16 world cups, 10 european cups, and 11 British and Euro championship match winner) shoots a high viz sight on his $12,000 perrazi O/U and gives detailed instructions on how to use the bead for clay and wingshooting. He is known for his 100-120 yard pigeon (live) shooting. He can purposely hit a pigeon in the head at 100 yards using the correct lead given to him by his bead width.. and he has famously said something to the sort of "instincts make a good shooter, knowledge of distance and knowing your weapon makes a world champion".

So take his advice, or take a duck hunter on duckhuntingchat's advice. You're choice. I know which one has killed tens of thousands of more birds than the other....
BBK
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:51 pm

Notice the high viz red sight on his gun? its not for show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9iURozEEtk
BBK
hunter

Postby Fowlfello » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:12 pm

Man I would just put on whatever looks cooler I've never swiched out any of my beads unless it was just to go to a smaller one. I think once someone crosses the line in between 40 yards and 100 the instinctual shooting turns to very calculated aiming. I've seen his videos of the shooting clays at 100 yards, Iam pretty sure if I shot paper with any of my guns and a 8 shot load at 100 yards I could count the holes on one hand
Fowlfello
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:18 am

[quote="BBK"] He can purposely hit a pigeon in the head at 100 yards
[quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can too with a rifle. but I would bet there are more hits in the body than the head with a shotgun at 100 yards :lol3:
CPL holder since 1991, NRA Lifetime Member, DU Member, NICET certified

"For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.—Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:27 am

Fowlfello wrote:Man I would just put on whatever looks cooler I've never swiched out any of my beads unless it was just to go to a smaller one. I think once someone crosses the line in between 40 yards and 100 the instinctual shooting turns to very calculated aiming. I've seen his videos of the shooting clays at 100 yards, Iam pretty sure if I shot paper with any of my guns and a 8 shot load at 100 yards I could count the holes on one hand

I have a hard time believing that he is breaking clays at 100 yards with #8's more like #4's and a turkey full choke. The videos are " exhibition " shooting just like shooting 10 hand thrown clays or shooting aspirin with a 22 revolver. Not something the normal hunter would need to do. I honestly can not tell you what color bead is on any of my dozen or so shotguns or if they are brass beads. the bead never comes into play when I am wingshooting or busting clays and I am very happy with my Hit ratio.

"For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.—Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Fiber optic front bead

Postby BBK » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:02 am

He uses 32 gram 5s past 80-90 yards i believe. With F/F chokes.

I knew those posts would bring out some people who knew better than the best shooter in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBK
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:26 am

Obviously "King George" is a very talented shotgun pointer with the free ammo Gamebore sponsors him with !
But , I do recall him stating in one of his video's , he's a pass-through shooter , which most wing shooters are .
If one looks at the bead of his/her gun ( while the targets in flight ) , there would be a lot of forward Lead to
makeup , as the time it takes to focus on the beads relationship to the target , you'll be WAY behind it !
I remember Digweed saying , the gap in front of the targets line of flight , is established by knowing you have a
good "Gun Mount" and your gun is properly fitted to you ! Everything else comes with experience and trigger time !

Even in the Desert , King George wasn't at his best on long targets as there were others that took home the money ?
Maybe he looked at the bead a little to long ? :yes: :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Black Coyote » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:37 am

One drawback of some Fiber Optic sights is that they're open on both ends, giving the ducks hi-viz too. It probably looks like a lazer pointer in the eye to them.

They don't "glow" until there's already plenty of light out.

And then of course you don't look at the bead. It's like driving a sexy car, it's for other people to look at.
Black Coyote
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:59 am

Black Coyote wrote:One drawback of some Fiber Optic sights is that they're open on both ends, giving the ducks hi-viz too. It probably looks like a lazer pointer in the eye to them.

They don't "glow" until there's already plenty of light out.

And then of course you don't look at the bead. It's like driving a sexy car, it's for other people to look at.

Yeah, it sure is a b1tch when I point my barrel at a duck and he sees the bead. :hammer:
BBK
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:26 pm

From email I received today.

For a final tip, Bilinski cautions shooters to ignore their shotgun's front sight. "The human eye can't focus on two objects at different distances at the same time, and if you focus on the sight, you'll miss. You have to learn to keep a hard focus on the bird and look through the shotgun. An old saying applies: ‘Fuzzy gun, sharp target.' Focus sharply on the head of the bird."

see the complete story here
http://www.ducks.org/Hunting/Shooting-Tips/Shotgunners-Guide-to-Waterfowling?poe=pulse9-27

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby z51 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:32 am

Fowlfello wrote:Man I would just put on whatever looks cooler I've never swiched out any of my beads unless it was just to go to a smaller one. I think once someone crosses the line in between 40 yards and 100 the instinctual shooting turns to very calculated aiming. I've seen his videos of the shooting clays at 100 yards, Iam pretty sure if I shot paper with any of my guns and a 8 shot load at 100 yards I could count the holes on one hand

But if someone shoots birds on the water before shooting hours they NEED that bright red bead. :rolleyes:
Well, are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?
z51
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:22 am

z51 wrote:They are good in low light for stationary targets. That's about the only use I can see.

Hafta' agree with z51 on this.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:28 am

BBK wrote:Notice the high viz red sight on his gun? its not for show

I'll tell you why it's there, BBK. It's because Hi-Viz pays him a lot of money to put it there and to tell people how it makes him break clay targets at 100 yards.

Fiber optic beads are a gimmick that probably doesn't hurt your shooting if you are shooting properly. If you are not shooting properly, it probably won't help, either. I tried one once, many years ago. It was a distraction and I took it off.
Does choosing the "right" color make you a better shot? Please.....
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby chaos » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:42 am

I cerakoted right over the top of mine on the SBE II. Can't tell any difference
chaos
hunter

Postby flyndutchman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:43 pm

I tried one when I started back into shotgun shooting about 10 years ago. Looked cool and I was using similar on my bow sights. I soon found it was very distracting. I shoot a lot of skeet and the only time I see the bead is when I pre-mount my gun and check the alignment of my head on the stock. Muzzle awareness is another thing, but looking back at the muzzle/bead as you use a sustained lead is a sure miss. Perhaps with a swing through or pull away technique it can work but not for me. Each to their own technique. Todd Bender advocates sustained lead as the most consistent for skeet shooting and a lot of waterfowl shots are just like shots on the skeet field. Time behind the trigger is the best and most effective thing you will ever do for your bird shooting. I wish I still had young eyes and could even see the birds before they are on top of me. I guess this is why I take younger partners and a sharp eyed dog hunting with me.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:19 am

chaos wrote:I cerakoted right over the top of mine on the SBE II. Can't tell any difference

This.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Jeep went to war, to make it safe for Land Rover to go to the mall.
Yuchi1
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum