Lengthening Forcing Cones

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Lengthening Forcing Cones

Postby bailey » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:06 am

One of my friends just had his forcing cones lengthened. What would this do for shooting?
bailey
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:18 am

should reduce "felt" recoil and improve patterns slightly with lead shot. The main purpose is to allow the shot more time to compress down to bore size and cause less deformation of the pellets. this in turn seems to lower the recoil pulse a bit.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ned S » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:51 am

I talked to a couple of Gun barrel experts here in TX about 10-12 yrs ago. I had bought a Rem Xpress and the forcing cone had tool marks on it and very rough. They told me not to disturb it and only hone it with a cyl hone which I did. They said that generally changing a forcing cone on a gun using steel would make the pattern worse. I have done seven Rem SP barrels and all of them shot excellent patterns after honing. Polishing was not required. I used the drill hones you get at any Auto store for around $10. Have a great season. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:55 am

By lengthening the forcing cone on a shotgun barrel, especially one that will be used with steel shot, you greatly reduce the chance of barrel scoring, caused by the pellets coming into contact with the bore...

I lengthen all forcing cones to 1 1/2" and then polish everything out. Not only does this prevent barrel scoring but, if you have patchy areas in the middle of your patterns with no pellets in them, cutting the forcing cone usually improves this as well....

sss
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby Ned S » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:26 pm

Davud, would you lengthen my forcing cone on my 935???
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Just being a smart "ankle" :yes: :yes: :yes: Ned S who loaded up some 7/8 oz of BBB and T's.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby duckcommanderfinstr » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:27 am

I've got an old Citori that I lenthened the forcing cones on and it made a fairly significant improvement to the pattern but only after I polished them to a mirror finish. I bought the reamer from Brownells and did it myself (I'm not new to machine work) Lots of oil when cutting is the key. I also opened up the full choke to a mod to match the other barrel and I shoot Hevi-shot exclusively thru this for ducks. I never noticed a reduction in recoil but everything I've read said that it should. Since I bought the reamer I've lenthened the cones on my Rem 1100,the Mossy535, and an old singleshot Cooey. The 1100 was the roughest factory cone I've ever seen with deep tooling marks that almost didn't come out. All have benefited from the lenthening procedure.

P.S.--Do Not Try This With Anything That Has Chrome Lined Bores! Not only will it destroy the cutter it will ruin the barrel and possibly your wallet.
I hunt.....because the voices in my head tell me to.
duckcommanderfinstr
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum