choke tube for 870?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

choke tube for 870?

Postby avidhunter » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:43 pm

I have a 24 year old 870 that shoots good. I would like to put choke tubes on it to get a better range how do I do it? or do I have to get a new barrel that can take choke tubes.

Paul
A sportsman see's nature. A weekend warrior see's only a kill.
avidhunter
Newb

Postby BADDUCK » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Either way will work. I had my old 870 cut for Tru Choke tubes. It should be a little cheaper to have that done if you have someone do it locally. I think it cost me $75 plus the chokes. A new barrel will cost over twice that and comes with one choke normally.
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby Ned S » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:59 pm

Call Shane at Carlson's, they will do it for you probably cheaper and anyone else and provide chokes also. Just Mention the Duck Chat. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

thanks

Postby avidhunter » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:58 pm

badduck and ned s thanks for your reply. That does sound a lot cheaper. I will put that on my to do list for this summer. It is shooting good enough and I am use to it right now for this season. Once I get a gunsmith to do that. I will take it out and shoot some clays with it to get used to it for next year.
A sportsman see's nature. A weekend warrior see's only a kill.
avidhunter
Newb

Postby mudcrutch » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:40 pm

can you put chokes in a 30" full that is marked 2 3/4" from about 1979, obviously not for steel ?
mudcrutch
Newb

Postby mallard molester » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:04 pm

you might wanna ask a gunsmith cause the barrel could be to thin
D@MN TEAL!!!
mallard molester
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:15 am

Check Gunbroker, I have bought a few "new condition" barrels on there for $50 to $100 for 870's and 11-87's with chokes. You will see a lot of them listed in the $200's but they never sell and just get relisted every week. This only works if your not in a hurry as it usually takes a few weeks for someone to list one at a decent price and no reserve.

The local gunshop here has barrels hanging like wind chimes from the ceiling. he usually gets $75 for a used barrel so you might want to check your local shops for a replacement too.

If your set on having chokes installed in your barrel that works good too but I just prefer off the shelf chokes. I had Tru-chokes installed in a 1300 that I shortened to 18.5" and they worked great but the chokes are an "order only" item, you can not just pick them up at the local Ganders or Bass pro. Carlsons would be my choice when I shorten the next one.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum