stuck choke

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

stuck choke

Postby flightdoc84 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:13 am

my damn factory choke is stuck in my beretta 390 A and I cant get it out. I want to get some aftermarket chokes for both my benelli and beretta but how do I get the choke out the key wont even budge.
Charles Galloway
Only number that matters is lives saved
DUSTOFF!!
flightdoc84
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:11 am

MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:28 pm

Once a month :huh: More like every two weeks lately.

Do a search in this forum for "stuck choke" and you will find more than you can read in one sitting. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby weimman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:00 am

not directed to original poster, but what in the heck do people do (or more correctly not do) to get tubes stuck all the time?

I think there is a topic at least bi-weekly in the 3 different waterfowling forums that I visit, asking for help in removing a stuck choke tube.

It really can't be simpler, Every time the gun leaves the house, it gets cleaned upon return. This included removing tube and greasing the threads. Many different options on this grease. Choke tube lube and antiseize compounds are 2 great options. I've used Shooters Choice High temp red grease for years and no issues ever with removal.

As already stated, do a search and read for the next 2-3 days. many, many , many threads on this topic.

Later,

Lance
weimman
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Generally a choke gets stuck when it is not lubed when installed after a good cleaning. then gets wet and rust in place, Or on a rare ocassion a weak choke will expand and lock into the barrel. I have removed both types with no problem for people and it happens a LOT. more often in salt water areas from my experience. the choke in my SBE has been in there for years and never stuck, Ocasionallt comes loose and has to be snuged up. I have no need to change it but I use anti-sieze on all my chokes and recommend it to everyone. Just a small dab will keep you from having this issue.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:50 pm

Well, sometimes . . . but that ain't always the case. SOMETIMES, them little buggers just go wrong on ya. I'm a gun-cleaning fanatic, and the tubes come outta mine every trip. But then, one day, I come home and one just won't come out. Long story longer, the threads swelled as a result of shooting large shot. Sent her off to Carlson's Choke tubes to get it out. They, in turn, could not get it out and sent it to the guy in Seattle, WA, who patented the INV+ barrel. He got it out, but the result was the loss of about 1/8" of the barrel. For the record, the thing wasn't rusted. The moral of the story is don't use factory tubes with big shot. Use aftermarket tubes, as they are made with much more forgiving stainless.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:59 pm

:thumbsup: I have heard of Large Steel shot locking chokes before. Especially when browning was using heat treated steel rather than the Stainless steel (made by briley) they supply now. the largest I like to shoot in my Benellis is T thru the factory chokes. Benelli once used blued steel chokes too and now use stainless made by Tru-lock. They all must have learned that the stainless holds up better and does not rust as easily. (yes stainless will still rust but not very easily).

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum