Pitted receiver/barrel help

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Pitted receiver/barrel help

Postby Dr. Gooseman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:32 am

I recently inherited a Browning BPS. When I opened the case, I found that it had some nasty rust spots on the receiver and barrel.

I cleaned it up and the visible rust is gone but it's left some remaining pitted areas. I figure the only way to fix this is to bring it to a gunsmith.

Questions: 1) Is there anything I can do as a "home remedy"? 2) If I do bring to a smith, what am I looking at for re-blueing?

Thanks for the help!

-Glenn
Hunting is like sex... Even when it's bad it's still pretty good.
Dr. Gooseman
hunter

Postby BADDUCK » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:56 am

You may be able to slow down or stop the pitting yourself. Get some Birchwood Casey Perma Blue. This is a pretty good cold blue I use for touch up. You also need some rubbing alcohol and oooo steel wool. Follow the directions on the bottle. Gun shops and even Walmarts should have it. It may take 3 or 4 applications but you can do the whole job in 30 minutes.
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:22 pm

Once it is pitted it is permanant, unless you plan to sand it down and refinish the entire gun. Brownells makes a very good cold blue that a lot of gunsmiths use and it is easy to apply but will not cure the pitting. a dremel with a small stainless steel brush will get the pits cleaned of all rust or you can use OOO steel wool. When all clean then use OOOO before refinishing and a cold water rince and buff with the OOOO before the next coat. Usually 3 coats works good.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum