Mossberg 935 mods

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Mossberg 935 mods

Postby uscg4good » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:11 pm

Are there any mods that can be done to the 935? I've been looking around and can't seem to find any aftermarket.
uscg4good
hunter

Postby BADDUCK » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:50 pm

What do you want to accomplish or improve?
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby uscg4good » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:58 pm

That would have been determined on what's available on the market. Other than that I was thinking a pistol grip stock or a new sight?
uscg4good
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:26 pm

SIghts are easy and available from numerous places, Fiber is the most popular and if it fits the 835 and 500 it will fit the 935 (the threat size is all the same on these models)

I do not know of any replacement stocks for this gun but will check my catalogs and see what I find.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:39 pm

not a ton, but there is a spacer kit for the 835/935 that did a world of good for my fit. That's better than any aftermarket stock in my book.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby StevenL » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:29 pm

Has anybody experienced any troubles with their 935’s? Mine has performed flawlessly since purchased several years ago, but I have talked with a couple guys in the field who complained about broken parts after firing 3-1/2” shells. The parts in question were the forearm retainer and/or the pusher assembly.
I made replacement parts for each from aluminum and slightly modified the new pusher assembly by installing polyurethane bushings at the base of the pushpins to act as buffers between the forearm retainer and the pusher assembly under recoil conditions. Everything worked fine, so I re-installed the factory parts and I have been shooting the gun that way ever since. I carry the spare parts just in case of OEM item failure. I test-fired the shotgun using 3-1/2” shells, however I don’t normally shoot ducks with anything larger than 3” shells and 2-3/4” shells having at least 1-1/4 ounces of shot weight with a high velocity powder charge.
StevenL
hunter

Postby Ned S » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:18 pm

Good idea Steve. I have shot mine for 3 yrs, no problems. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Thanks Ned

Postby StevenL » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:57 pm

It's just a guess, but I have to say Mossberg has more good runs of injection molded plastic than a bit of bad every once in a while. Then too, most plastics will degrade over time and especially when exposed to the harsh elements mother nature so easily provides.
StevenL
hunter

Postby uscg4good » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Well mine is still pretty new. Under 100 shells through it, and I bought it last January. I did have some jamming issues while shooting 2 3/4 loads, but it's' not chambered for 2 3/4. My fault.
uscg4good
hunter

Me Too

Postby StevenL » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:42 pm

uscg4good wrote:Well mine is still pretty new. Under 100 shells through it, and I bought it last January. I did have some jamming issues while shooting 2 3/4 loads, but it's' not chambered for 2 3/4. My fault.

Field loads just don't have enough ooom pah pah to cycle the action. But a really good high velocity load with a minimum of 1-1/4 ounces of shot works quite well in mine. Every time I clean the weapon after a day in the field (whether fired or not) I'll run a pipe cleaner through each of the exhaust ports and into the bore several times to be sure the ports are clear of any obstruction. There's no such thing as being too thorough, especially with a gas operated action.
StevenL
hunter

Postby Ned S » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:08 pm

My 935 cycles my 2 3/4 7/8 and 1 oz loads as long as they are going 1550 fps. I shoot mostly 7/8 oz loads. Velocity has more to do with cycling gas autos than pressure. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby StevenL » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:35 pm

That's good to know, Ned. Thanks.
StevenL
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:10 pm

Ned S wrote:My 935 cycles my 2 3/4 7/8 and 1 oz loads as long as they are going 1550 fps. I shoot mostly 7/8 oz loads. Velocity has more to do with cycling gas autos than pressure. Ned S

:huh:

Then I have a question, Why do my Browning Golds (3.5" chamber) operate great with 2-3/4" 1.5oz lead shot @ 1100fps but will not operate reliably with 1oz at 1300fps. It is pressure that operates the gas piston and most have pressure compensation to compensate for high pressure loads. I agree that the higher velocity (1550) loads will operate a gas auto when a low velocity load will not given that they are the same charge weight. but you do not need velocity to operate the action you do need pressure which you can get by increasing the velocity of equal weight loads.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:02 pm

In a gas operating gun... I don't know which would be correct. I know if you fire a blank and you have no pressure the bolt stays completely motionless. Dump the shot out of a shell and fire it in a gas operated gun. The shell won't eject. That holds true in my Ar rifles as well. I'd have to guess pressure.

All of the advice you've been given is great and it may be anyone of those problems. I'd start with the cheapest solutions first before I'd take apart a gun to replace extractors or polish chambers. Buy a different box of shells to start.

Edit... Now that I'm thinking about it, its the pressure that sends the gas back down to cycle the bolt. Otherwise, with no pressure, the gas takes the path of least resistance. Straight down the barrel.

Pressure is my vote.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:07 pm

don taylor wrote:In a gas operating gun... I don't know which would be correct. I know if you fire a blank and you have no pressure the bolt stays completely motionless. Dump the shot out of a shell and fire it in a gas operated gun. The shell won't eject. That holds true in my Ar rifles as well. I'd have to guess pressure.
:thumbsup:

:hijacked:
Correct and that is why there are blank fireing adapters for M1 Garands, AR's and M1 Carbines. basically you block the barrel and use the available pressure from the blank to cycle the action.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ned S » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:32 am

My info comes from a Winchester Gun Engr. My statement about velocity is with steel reloads only. I did an experiment seeing how low a velocity I could get with 7/8 oz of steel shot and it was 1550 fps recipe in my Mossy 935, a 1500 fps recipe would not cycle it. This was a recipe velocity in a standard dia 12 ga barrel. The velocity I get in the 935 is 100 fps faster or actual velocity in the 935 was 1650 fps min to cycle. The 935 has a 10 gage bore which is the reason for the higher velocities. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum