Wad Wizard Supreme!

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Wad Wizard Supreme!

Postby aftershox454 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:53 pm

Alright just got done ordering my wad wizard supreme for my baikal mp 153

I've been doing some reading on what ammo to use in combination with the choke tube and wanted to open this up to some of your guys' thoughts.

I've heard that you cannot use black clouds in conjunction with this choke tube. Is there any merit to that?

If anybody has some ammo suggestions or currently has a combo that really works please let me know.

aftershox454
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:07 pm

I would not shoot black cloud in a ported choke tube or one that strips the wad. Federal specifically says not to use black cloud in these chokes as barrel damage can and has resulted. I know of one guy that the pictures are posted on here. He had an issue with black cloud ripping the end off his NEW 870 barrel, the jury is still out on who was to blame, the barrel was sent to Remington and then to Federal. It appears that the reverse wad configeration may have caught the choke and tried to turn inside out in the barrel. this was not even a ported choke but possibly a little loose or misaligned enough that the wad caught it.

There are a couple of post here showing black cloud wads. it is actually very hard compared to standard wads possibly to keep the cutting edge of the pellets from getting thru. The wads I have shot and found still had shot stuck in the recovered wad.

As far as I can tell Black cloud works as good as regular steel shot. No better and no worse.

If you want to know for sure, Contact the choke manufacturer and Federal. Ask them if they see any issues with shooting Black cloud in your new choke tube. chances are that they have tested it.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:51 am

Dont shoot Black Cloud through a stripper choke. Bad.

Black Cloud is overratted anyways. Not worth the cost.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum