jamming 935

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

jamming 935

Postby clark17 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Hey had my mossberg jam on me the other morning with greenheads fluttering in my face. It was pretty cold out and I thought that may have something to do with it. I know that oil can get pretty viscous but I just wipe it down lightly with rem oil, and spray the action when I clean it. I shoot expert 3.5 in 1550 fps, so plenty of load to cycle another shell. I did notice both times that the shells that have jammed, the nose of the shell is bent, like the gun tried to cylce the shell but somehow the shell jsut wouldn't chamber. Don't know if it's the gun or the shells fault. Would like some expert opinions, thanks.
clark17
hunter

Postby Ned S » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Take the spring out of the stock and clean the tube and spring. Stretch it about an inch. Lightly oil both the tube and spring wit FP-10 wiping off the excess. Remove barrel and bolt and clean with Carb cleaner, wiping dry and blowing dry. Lightly oil all the moving parts and the magazine tube wiping off or blowing off all excess with a compressor. The 935's do not like over oiling especially with Rem Oil. Good luck, Ned S who has shot a 935 for 3 yrs without a problem. This makes the 4 th yr.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby clark17 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:51 pm

Ned thanks alot I appreciate your advice.
clark17
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:57 pm

here is what my gun is doing.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby clark17 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:42 pm

yeah mine too, but maybe neds advice will help. Are you using 3.5 in shells?
clark17
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 pm

mine does it with or without a shell......i cleaned, scrubbed, stretched springs, oiled, wiped dry, air compressed parts and still got the same old malfunction.

i'm thinking about trading it in on a new model to see if that matters.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:43 am

Good advice, except for stretching the spring, If you understand springs you will know that they manufactured to a specific tension and length. And they do have a memory. if you stretch them out you do not change the spring rate, only the length and it will return to its initial size shortly. If you think the spring is bad (loosing tension) it is best to replace it not streatch it out.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:18 am

i've put new springs...stretched old ones....and even put new ones with more/greater tension in the gun and it still does the malfunction.

it does this with or without shells....i've decided to trade it in..if mossberg won't make it right.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby Ned S » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:54 pm

He's got something dragging as he says it does it with no ammunition when he brings the bolt back. I have designed springs, stretching does not hurt a bit unless you continually do it. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:52 pm

Ned S wrote:He's got something dragging as he says it does it with no ammunition when he brings the bolt back. I have designed springs, stretching does not hurt a bit unless you continually do it. Ned S

I guess we will just disagree, I have seen it too many times, They stretch the spring and it definately looses tension, it also goes back to its original length in just a few hundred cycles. Kind of pointless. just replace it if it is bad. Now if your talking Flat springs it is a different story, a correctly manufactured and treated flat spring will hold (both tension and shape) when bent.

The point here is that if the spring has lost tension it is BAD, Stretching it just buys you a small bit of time.

But if the bolt carrier is draging then it is a completely different issue. I am surprised that you just did not send it back to mossberg. I have sent them old second hand 500's and they fixed them free of charge (i paid to ship them one way). and they are quick too. Unless thay have slacked on their CS lately.

Have you checked for burrs or signs of rubbing to try and locate the area that is causing the binding?

I would like to have one of these 935's but on here they seem to be about 50/50 or the good / bad ones.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:09 pm

the dragging only occurs in cold temperature. in the summer my gun is flawless. i plan on sending it back to mossberg (again)....i emailed the guy who "fixed" it last time....we'll see what he says.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:24 pm

Sorry I could not helpp more. It is hard to determine the issue without seeing it sometimes.

What did they put on the repair ticket from the last time you sent it in? did they say what they fixed. They usually give you a good discription of the repairs they made.

Let us know what they said or done for future reference.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby StevenL » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:28 pm

A picture can be worth a thousand words. And in judgment of the photos you have provided, if that is in fact the stage where jamming occurs, I have to say the problem you are experiencing has more to do with the rear shell stop than proper lubrication or cleaning. The rear shell stop is just one piece in a small sub-assembly of springs, pins, levers and a spring-clip that go inside the receiver ahead of the trigger guard, above the loading port on the bottom of the receiver and on the same side as the ejection port. This sub-assembly also serves as the bolt release (for chambering a cartridge) and the forward shell stop release for unloading the magazine. Look on page 29 of your owner’s manual to view an exploded diagram of the assembly. However, if the jamming occurs when the elevator lifts the cartridge so that the forward movement of the bolt pushes the cartridge into the chamber (nose of the cartridge bent or disfigured in the process) a different problem than the one I suggest exists -involving improper function of the elevator in concert with the bolt carrier and or the bolt assembly, or something else that may be so simple as a sharp edge or burr on the mouth of the chamber’s breach. But either way, also far from telling you how to fix a problem without proper diagnosis as a result of thorough examination, I strongly recommend you guys contact the customer service department at Mossberg immediately. Their telephone number (800-363-3555) is toll free, or you can email them (service@mossberg.com) with a description of the problem. I guarantee the folks at Mossberg will honor the original warranty if they own the cause.
PS to Mossberg935: that your weapon will jam “ . . .without shells” is a mystery to me.
StevenL
hunter

Postby clark17 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:34 pm

Hey cleaned the action and slides with bore cleaner and blew it out until dry, wiped away all the debris and excess oil. Put a very very light coat of oil on it and it performed flawless yesterday. Couldnt be more pleased, thanks for the advice mines fixed, I believe I was over lubricating the gun, and the oil was too viscous in the colder weather.
clark17
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:48 pm

that is what I like to hear :thumbsup:

Glad we could offer some assistance. I Still want a Mossy 935, I just like the way they feel but will probably stick to what I have for now....

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:09 pm

sent my 935 back to Mossberg today via a prepaid Fed ex label......i was told by service, they will be sending me a new gun :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:20 pm

Great News. And they sent a pre-paid label :thumbsup: Can not beat that for CS. It is just a shame that you had to send it back to begin with. Are they going to tell you what was wrong with it when the get it back?

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:59 pm

Roger (gunsmith) said he does not know what is wrong with it.....its been like this from the get go...he gave up fixing it and is just gonna replace it.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum