Duck Hunting Forum banner

Beneli Nova not firing

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  okie870 
#1 ·
hey guys, need you input. I have a Beneli Nova that as of today is not firing. I pull the trigger but all it does is click and does not fire. Any thoughts. I did change to 3" shells after using 3 1/2" for over a year when this happened. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I clean it on a regular basis but did disasemble everything after the problem and lubed it all up so I'm not sure if that will help.

#2 ·
To help explain what happens when it doesn't fire. I pull the trigger and the slide pops back and wants to eject the shell but it doesn't fire the shell. I've tried shooting snap caps and the same thing happens, the slide pops back when firing. Any thoughts. I'm going to try and contact a gun smith and see if they have any thoughts and proably will need it repaired. Thanks

#3 ·
Well, if there is not a dent in the primer of a live round the firing pin could be broken, the striker is not driving the firing pin, or there could be an obstruction in the bolt assembly preventing longitudinal movement of the firing pin -like maybe a broken buffer spring.
Your idea to take it to a gunsmith is a good one. A professional smith will have the proper tools and the know-how to do the job right.

#5 ·
Have you tried it again with 3.5" ammo since this started? If not and it has been stored for a while since you shot it last and then started doing this I would have to say you need to take the bolt apart, Remove the fireing pin and give it a good cleaning. Probably your only issue is that the fireing pin is stuck or worse case, rusted into the bolt. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
StevenL said:
Well, if there is not a dent in the primer of a live round the firing pin could be broken, the striker is not driving the firing pin, or there could be an obstruction in the bolt assembly preventing longitudinal movement of the firing pin -like maybe a broken buffer spring.
Your idea to take it to a gunsmith is a good one. A professional smith will have the proper tools and the know-how to do the job right.
Did it dent the primer? I want to know. So many times the solution doesnt get posted. IMO That gun doesn't know the difference in shell length. If its not denting the primer on the shell, its probably the firing pin. You can probably do it yourself. If your unsure certainly heed this advice.

#8 ·
The gun does NOT know if your shooting 2" or 3.5" ammo. It does not matter what length round you chamber (provided the gun is chambered for it) the fireing pin hits with the same "power" or impact force. There is a problem with the gun, Most likely in the bolt assembly if your getting light hits from the fireing pin. Try dry fireing it a few times and listen, does it sound like it hits hard every time?

#9 ·
It hard for me to understand why the gun was shooting 3 1/2 just fine and then it wasn't shooting 3" mostly at all maybe 1 and 10 shots would fire. Yes, it sound as if the firing pin is hitting hard. I thought for a second that it maybe the brand I was shooting but after trying several different types it still had the same problem. More than likely if it works with 3 1/2 I will send it to beneli for repair after the duck/goose season. I'm just still curious why it's doing this.

#10 ·
Please keep us informed, It is these issues, once resolved, that can help out someone else at a later time.

#11 ·
i just had the same problem with mine, and after not knowing what to do he said it could have been a couple things. the slide is jamming on somthing and will not go all the way forward. 2 the pin is now to weak to dent the primer because the spring has fallen out, or weakend. extra remington has very hard primers so they can be hard to dent sometimes.

#13 ·
StevenL said:
allgreenhead said:
. . . . the slide is jamming on somthing and will not go all the way forward. . . .

An excellent point that had not been mentioned previously. The rotary bolt head may have something to do with the problen as well.
Please let us know the fix.
good point, If the bolt is not locked in all the way it will just give the click, but you should notice this on a pump. if the slide is not all the way forward and bolt locked in place you can just open the action again without pressing the release button.

I would really like to know what the issue was when it is corrected.

#15 ·
I don't see how it's not the shells. Does it still fire 3's? I think you got some bad shells. I guess it could be a light primer strike, but if it shoots different shells (regardless of length)I'd be skeptical. For me, For S's and Giggles, shoot those same 3.5's out of a different gun and see if they work.

#17 ·
well, I went out this past weekend on Saturday and shot 3 1/2 inch shells with the beneli nova and had no problems. It was funny because my brother in law who has the same gun was having the same problem I was having this Saturday. Plus we were hunting with a guide who has the same gun and he hates his nova because he experienced the same problem. All are about 2 years old. I'll keep you updated.

#20 ·
Sounds like you may have over oiled your firing pin. Pull the bolt out, slide out the sideways pin held in by the o-ring. Remove the firing pin. Clean the pin well, and clean the inside of the bolt with an oiled q-tip, then a dry one. Only oil the pin by wiping with a lightly oiled rag. I used to have this issue quite often, now that I quit oiling the pin so much it shoots everytime!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.