trap ribs on shotguns

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

trap ribs on shotguns

Postby vacuum6 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:41 am

is it possible to have a vent rib replaced with a stepped up rib similar to the ones seen on some trap guns? i have a 1969 miroku O/U (browning patent) that does not fit me (bad sight picture) and would like to have a stepped rib put on it. there is no shimming of the stocks for these guns and i am seeing way too much of the rib when i shoulder the gun. 2 guns that fit me very well, the SX2 and the benelli autos, have stepped ribs, so i am thinking that may be a solution...applying a ramped/stepped up rib. why do only trap guns have the exaggerated step ribs anyway ??
vacuum6
hunter

Postby Woodyard » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:31 pm

Super high ribs on trap guns are meant to help the shooter see the rising target quicker without it being obscured by the barrel.
2011-12:
Mourning doves 49
Buck antelope 1
Buck mule deer 1
Mallards 97
Wood ducks 3
Greenwing teal 24
Bluewing teal 2
Ring necks 8
Pintails 3
Wigeon 1
Gadwalls 1
Shovelers 2
Redheads 1
Canvasbacks 1
Bands 2
Woodyard
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:22 pm

I can only imagine what that would cost if there is a company that would do it. I'd sell it and buy a gun that fits without those mods. If you have a high end shop near by you may be able to get the gun fitted to you with the same results.

I also know they make a offset and adjustable butt plate/recoil pad that may get the rib flat in your sight picture. They aren't expensive and once you raise the stock of the gun up, you may fix the problem. Try mounting the gun a couple inches high above your shoulder. If that fixes the problem, the pad idea may work.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vacuum6 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:49 pm

i did look into trading the gun off for an o/u that fit me ....could not find one that fit. not browning, winchester, skb, beretta, or ruger. all had ribs that were flat off the receiver and i saw way too much barrel with all of them. i did look into the morgan pad. cheap fix but a little clumbsy for a hunting weapon....in my view....still not closing the door on that option.

i just now found a company that will (or used to) put a rib on top of my existing rib...i could even specify how i wanted the gun to pattern. in that case i would likely go 60/40 at 30-35 yards for a pattern. the site I found was an old site from 2004. so i will have to call them. the price did seem reasonable at around $150 and did not require the gun to be re blued.

I also just found the simmons site and they are nuts for prices at $6-800 which requires a re blue of the gun. i will tell you what i think of that price when I stop laughing.

If the phone call pans out to the $150 shop, I will definetly go that route. My gun is not a collector piece...it is a shooter that does not send pellets where i am looking....i find that to be a problem. It is currently a great conservation tool.
vacuum6
hunter

Postby william costa » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:19 pm

does your gun have a recoil pad on the butt.if not add one somtimes by adding a pad it will move your cheeck back and feel as if its lowered your comb. your comb is to high!causing you to be looking down on rib sounds like to me.you can fit that gun to ya by removing wood of of comb area with a rasp,file,sandpaper.you will probably have to remove a 1/4 inch off of the top of stock(comb) just keep shouldering it after you take some wood off till you get it were ya want it then sand with fine and refinish.i had to do this to a over/under i own to get my sight picture correct i was shooting high(lookin down on rib).if ya cant get your cheeck down on it far enough to see a flat rib then thats yer problem.
william costa
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum