HELP!!

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

HELP!!

Postby R-Factor » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:37 pm

This is my first year owning a Browning BPS and love it- with the exception of one problem. Many times when I shoot it, especially when pass shooting, it really punishes my face- particularly high on my cheek. I grew up in a hunting family and have shot a number of both rifles and shotguns...and have never had this problem before. Even the 3.5" shells aren't too bad on the shoulder, but blister my face so bad that my cheek was swollen throughout a lot of October. What gives? Have you guys ever had this problem? Obviously, it's the way I'm holding the gun, as I know many BPS owners don't have this problem, but what should I do? The only thing I can think of is that my length of pull may need to lengthened? What are your thought on this? The problem is only magnified when shooting three and half's, but still a problem shooting 2 3/4"....Thanks a ton for any recommendations or thoughts on this. :oops: :huh:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:05 am

sounds to me like you are aiming the shotgun instead of pointing it. your face should not be laid down on the stock of a shotgun, but the shotgun should be brought up to your eye level....

try practicing by keeping your head straight and bringing your shotgun up to where you have a good sight picture without moving your head. the buttstock (recoil pad) will be a little higher than the top of your shoulder, this is fine.

you may also need to trim up some of the stock to fit you better.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Re: HELP!!

Postby BADDUCK » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:52 am

R-Factor wrote:This is my first year owning a Browning BPS and love it- with the exception of one problem. Many times when I shoot it, especially when pass shooting, it really punishes my face- particularly high on my cheek. I grew up in a hunting family and have shot a number of both rifles and shotguns...and have never had this problem before. Even the 3.5" shells aren't too bad on the shoulder, but blister my face so bad that my cheek was swollen throughout a lot of October. What gives? Have you guys ever had this problem? Obviously, it's the way I'm holding the gun, as I know many BPS owners don't have this problem, but what should I do? The only thing I can think of is that my length of pull may need to lengthened? What are your thought on this? The problem is only magnified when shooting three and half's, but still a problem shooting 2 3/4"....Thanks a ton for any recommendations or thoughts on this. :oops: :huh:

Length of pull and/or drop could be the problem. I'm about 6' 5' with long arms and broad shoulders and I still had to cut my stock down on my BPS 10 GA. Too long a stock can bust your chops.
The procedure is too lengthy to go into here but find a shotgun that fits you well and compare the measurements.
Also throw the gun up with your eyes closed toward an object several times and see how it lines up with the object. If you are not seeing a nicely aligned sight picture it doesn't fit. Too short and you will see too much rib. Too long and you will see little or no rib. Do this in full hunting gear.
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:31 am

The standard BPS has (no matter what gauge) a 14-1/4" LOP, a 1-5/8" drop @ comb and 1-7/8" drop @ heel unless it is the english stocked model.

The gold for example has a 14-1/4" LOP, a 1-3/4" drop @ comb and 2" drop @ heel.

It might not sound like much but will make a BIG impact on where your pattern hits and how it slaps your face :yes:

Browning states on their site that all their stocks are shipped with no cast on or off.

Best bet is to have it fitted to you, Could be as easy as a longer or shorter recoil pad. I have seen guys remove the pad and then try shooting the gun just to see if they have the same "face slap" issue.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby R-Factor » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks for your thoughts guys- I appreciate it. I was so dumb-founded with this- I've spent about 23 of my 31 years shooting and have never had an issue like this.
Are you thinking that a longer pull could actually create more recoil to the face? I was thinking just the opposite...that I made need to increase my length of pull :huh:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:55 am

It all depends on you, and your body structure as to how the gun fits and what might need to be done to keep it from hurting you.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum