also having trbl with 11-87 super mag

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

also having trbl with 11-87 super mag

Postby dmurano » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:06 pm

Hey guys my trouble is also a cycling issue, when the magazine is loaded shell can be pushed in to far and catch on the feed latch causing the shell to jam after the first round is fired bolt will stay open. with a round in the chamber and magazine filled bolt will not open easily. I know all I have to do is reach in and depress the feed latch but shoudn't have to check it between shots do you think the latch is not pressed in correctly? any help out there..
dmurano
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:11 am

How long since you took it completely apart and cleaned it out REAL GOOD. including removing the trigger assembly? you could have a damaged part but you could also have something binding. also pull the spring and follower out of the magazine tube inspect the inside of the mag tube, then run a cleaning swab thru it a few times too. gun scrubber works good for this but on remingtons if it is dipped the gun scrubber can remove the finish.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dmurano » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:48 pm

gun is cleanend after most hunts just went through it with Multi tech-1 metal conditioner last week the feed latch does not lay in flat along the receiver wall , it wants to spring about a 1/16 into magazine box, does not apear to be anything behind latch. also own 1100 that the latch will fall out of when triger assembly is removed but when assembled the latch is flush with reciver wall its a pain getting those two parts back in at the same time hope it helps K.C. I have pulled the magazine spring out and run a bore snake thru and cleaned spring
dmurano
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:05 pm

It should be flush inside the receiver and only the end should stick out just far enough to keep the rounds in the magazine.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dmurano » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:51 pm

is it a fix I could do myself or should a gunsmith do it? seems like it may need some speical tools to remove and press in the groove I know the one on my 1100 has 3 crimp indents on it
dmurano
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:01 pm

If you have a bit of mechanical ability and the correct tools you can stake the new one in place or you can remove the old one and try to straighten it but it is spring steel and it will break it stressed too much. Your best option would be to have a shop look at it first.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum