Browning Gold BOLT JAMMED!!! HELP

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Browning Gold BOLT JAMMED!!! HELP

Postby Ducks4Dinner » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:34 pm

I have a brand new never fired 12 gauge browning gold. After reading up on these guns and deciding that this was the gun for me I brought it home and began the initial cleaning. I was attempting to follow the Cabelas article recommending cleaning the gun to remove any grease and prepare the gun for a hunt in the morning.

As I went to put the barrel back on, I realized the bolt was not back, so I drew the bolt back, it went half way and then stuck.

So now I have a brand new gun with a stuck bolt. UUGGHHH! Can anyone help me with this? I have the trigger group out, and I tried lubricating it.
Ain't nothing like looking up to see the birds coming in with their gear down!
Ducks4Dinner
hunter

Postby fdgn » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:45 am

i own a win. sx2 which has similar action, and it sounds like you may have let the bolt go forward with out barrel on. i would guess the bolt slide link that is attached to the rear of the bolt has come out of the recoil spring tube and not letting you return bolt to reward position.
with trigger assembly out you should be able to see what looks like a small tube inside and towards the back, the bolt slide link that rides with the bolt needs to be in this tube.
if that doesn't help do a search on here about browning gold cleaning i think i have see this problem on here before.
good luck i hope this helps.
fdgn
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:56 am

You will probably have to "PUSH" the bolt back forward with the barrel still removed. You did have the trigger installed when you tried to lock the bolt back and install the barrel correct? I am looking at mine right now, can you post a pic of where it is stuck from the bottom and the side and we can probably help you out.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BADDUCK » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:45 am

Make sure the hammer is cocked and the gun is on safe. You may have pulled the tail piece of the bolt out of the cup in the front of the follower. You will have to insert that piece into the follower first, and then fully cock the gun. Now install the barrel and associated parts.
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Postby Woodyard » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:53 pm

To repeat what these other fellows have said, it sounds like the end of the bolt slide link is not in the cup-shaped socket in the recoil spring follower. The owner's manual for my Gold Fusion has a picture showing how they line up. Probably the easiest way to do this is to remove the trigger group. Again, look at the owner's manual.
2011-12:
Mourning doves 49
Buck antelope 1
Buck mule deer 1
Mallards 97
Wood ducks 3
Greenwing teal 24
Bluewing teal 2
Ring necks 8
Pintails 3
Wigeon 1
Gadwalls 1
Shovelers 2
Redheads 1
Canvasbacks 1
Bands 2
Woodyard
hunter

Got It Thanks Gents

Postby Ducks4Dinner » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Got it, thanks Gents!
Ain't nothing like looking up to see the birds coming in with their gear down!
Ducks4Dinner
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum