Sugary Drink Ban

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Sugary Drink Ban

Postby slowshooter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:22 am

BYOT (bring your own tank). Problem solved.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:08 am

Glimmerjim wrote:With all due respect...I truly believe we are all missing the intent and the promulgators behind this sort of action. Seat belt laws, motorcycle helmet laws, sugary drink laws, nutritional value of school lunch laws, cigarette prohibition laws.... etc etc etc. It is not the "liberal do-gooders" running this through Congress in a misguided effort to improve the health and safety of the populace. It is the insurance companies. They can just easily manipulate and utilize many of those who consider themselves as "Liberals for the ultimate benefit of society." The healthier and the safer they can keep their clients the more profits they make. Think of Life Insurance. It's just a bet. You are betting you are going to die sooner, they are betting you are going to die later. They will do what ever it takes to manipulate the system in their favor. And they have plenty of funds and a reasonably plausible platform to do it all on. Remember, always, this is the good ol' capitalistic US of A. If there are restrictions and laws that don't make sense......follow the dollar.

Glimmerjim wrote:It is not the "liberal do-gooders" running this through Congress in a misguided effort to improve the health and safety of the populace. It is the insurance companies. They can just easily manipulate and utilize many of those who consider themselves as "Liberals for the ultimate benefit of society." The healthier and the safer they can keep their clients the more profits they make.
That is how insurance is supposed to work. You are insuring against something you do NOT want to happen. You are both hoping for the some outcome, no insurance claims. Real insurance, you want ever penny to end up as insurance company profit.

For example,
Glimmerjim wrote:Think of Life Insurance.

You do not want to die, but if you have people that are depending upon you for their well being, you want to be sure they are taken care of.

As I told my wife, I want to have enough life insurance that if I get run over by the bus, you will be OK, but not so much that I have to worry about you driving the bus :eek:

Glimmerjim wrote:They will do what ever it takes to manipulate the system in their favor.
Now this part I agree with completely. But those manipulations are often scams such as forcing people to have far more coverage than they want. The more things that you are forced to cover, the more profit they make. Every expense need not be covered by insurance and all common expenses should never be covered by insurance. Think health insurance. Why on earth should you pay the overhead costs on top of the actual costs to get the insurance company to pay for routine and common medical expenses? It's just stupid. If you can't afford the bills, you can't afford the bills plus the overhead costs. You insure against big things that screw up your life and the insurance premiums are the cost of having these things not screw up your life or the life of others in the case of life insurance.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:20 pm

SpinnerMan wrote: As I told my wife, I want to have enough life insurance that if I get run over by the bus, you will be OK, but not so much that I have to worry about you driving the bus :eek:

THAT is a GREAT line, Spinner! :lol3: :beer:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby cartervj » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:49 am

slowshooter wrote:Bans don't work

Also tax fat people, smokers and people that do stupid stuff then get hurt.

I also recommend a health tax of 25% on every processed food item that is sold in fast food places as a starting point. The more processed the more taxes. Then tax people for using vowels.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Let's ban welding and other dangerous health depriving jobs then, or say we tax them. What's the average age of a welder? What's the average wage of a pipe fitter, bet we can pay off some debts?
Tax everything that moves, kinda where we are headed anyways. :lol3:
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Previous

Return to Controversial Issues Forum