Looks bad for Republicans that own hardware stores

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Looks bad for Republicans that own hardware stores

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:21 am

http://www.people-press.org/2009/07/09/section-4-scientists-politics-and-religion/

Sales of carabiners and rope in the heartland are going to crash once folks find out they can't fall off the edge of the world. :lol3:

Only 6% of scientists self identify as Republican...
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: Looks bad for Republicans that own hardware stores

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:59 am

So your are saying the Global Warming fraud would have come to light a lot sooner if Bush hadn't suppressed the information on it? This means Gore would not have stolen a Nobel Peace Prize for a bunch of Bull Spit, we wouldn't have wasted trillions in useless funds and projects, etc...

Something else for you to hate Bush for. :thumbsup:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:28 am

Carabiners might indeed become cheaper... but rope prices have been depressed for a decade or more now as the climate changers have been hanging themselves out with their own ropes! :grooving:
High Sierras
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:33 am

High Sierras wrote:Carabiners might indeed become cheaper... but rope prices have been depressed for a decade or more now as the climate changers have been hanging themselves out with their own ropes! :grooving:

One more time........?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:12 pm

You started this thread trying to take a jab at the 'folks who live in the heartland' that you claim believed in falling off the edge of the world, and tried to equate that to a drop in the sale of carabiners & ropes...or some such thing. I was tossing back that there was no need to worry about the supply of rope either, as the climate change crowd (ie, those scientists faithful to the idea that in spite of countless shifts in climate over the centuries somehow this time it's our fault.) didn't need to go out and buy any rope, they were busy hanging themselves with their own rope vis-a-vis the ridiculousness of their position on the whole this time idea...

Yeah, in hindsight, it was almost as lame a joke as your original one about the whole fear of falling off the edge of the world thingie. Carry on! :beer:
High Sierras
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:28 pm

High Sierras wrote:You started this thread trying to take a jab at the 'folks who live in the heartland' that you claim believed in falling off the edge of the world, and tried to equate that to a drop in the sale of carabiners & ropes...or some such thing. I was tossing back that there was no need to worry about the supply of rope either, as the climate change crowd (ie, those scientists faithful to the idea that in spite of countless shifts in climate over the centuries somehow this time it's our fault.) didn't need to go out and buy any rope, they were busy hanging themselves with their own rope vis-a-vis the ridiculousness of their position on the whole this time idea...

Yeah, in hindsight, it was almost as lame a joke as your original one about the whole fear of falling off the edge of the world thingie. Carry on! :beer:

You might have had some kind of point had that been me you keep referring to.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:43 pm

slowshooter wrote:http://www.people-press.org/2009/07/09/section-4-scientists-politics-and-religion/

Sales of carabiners and rope in the heartland are going to crash once folks find out they can't fall off the edge of the world. :lol3:

I know this is something that you have no personal experience with so let me give you a little insight. This has no basis in people that are truly scientists in the way people interpret this.

Ironically during our break today where I was in a meeting of top U.S. scientist in the nuclear energy/nuclear fuel cycle arena. The financial expert made the observation about how the group was fairly right leaning and we had a very interesting discussion and some of the people that I would have suspected as being left-leaning were not. The financial guy, I believe does not lean right at all and expected this false perception of scientists to have been true.

If you are talking about young people with a B.S. in some soft science, no question about it. If you are talking about older scientists with Ph.D.'s in hard sciences, especially engineering, I'd say eclectic and non-conforming is the best description and probably right leaning is the correct term. I work with everybody from basically communists to evangelical Christians, but on average there are more evangelical Christians than communists.

If you look at the subset of scientists they chose, I think that explains the results.

And in all groups the atheist view is the minority :thumbsup:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:15 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
High Sierras wrote:You started this thread trying to take a jab at the 'folks who live in the heartland' that you claim believed in falling off the edge of the world, and tried to equate that to a drop in the sale of carabiners & ropes...or some such thing. I was tossing back that there was no need to worry about the supply of rope either, as the climate change crowd (ie, those scientists faithful to the idea that in spite of countless shifts in climate over the centuries somehow this time it's our fault.) didn't need to go out and buy any rope, they were busy hanging themselves with their own rope vis-a-vis the ridiculousness of their position on the whole this time idea...

:oops:
My bad. Coffee had not kicked in yet to clear the brain.
High Sierras
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:40 pm

High Sierras wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

:beer:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:26 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
slowshooter wrote:http://www.people-press.org/2009/07/09/section-4-scientists-politics-and-religion/

I know this is something that you have no personal experience with so let me give you a little insight. This has no basis in people that are truly scientists in the way people interpret this.

Ironically during our break today where I was in a meeting of top U.S. scientist in the nuclear energy/nuclear fuel cycle arena. The financial expert made the observation about how the group was fairly right leaning and we had a very interesting discussion and some of the people that I would have suspected as being left-leaning were not. The financial guy, I believe does not lean right at all and expected this false perception of scientists to have been true.

If you are talking about young people with a B.S. in some soft science, no question about it. If you are talking about older scientists with Ph.D.'s in hard sciences, especially engineering, I'd say eclectic and non-conforming is the best description and probably right leaning is the correct term. I work with everybody from basically communists to evangelical Christians, but on average there are more evangelical Christians than communists.

If you look at the subset of scientists they chose, I think that explains the results.

And in all groups the atheist view is the minority :thumbsup:

You lose! :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:28 pm

High Sierras wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

Ironically Spinner was in a meeting with coffee drinkers today and based on his personal experience you don't need coffee. Just strong tea and a snickers. :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:58 pm

slowshooter wrote:You lose! :lol3:

I have to confess I was struggling to see the point made, myself. :lol3: The atheist part....I am amazed at how high the percentages are for self-described atheists. Huge percentages that trump "God" believers in every demographic but one. I am not sure I would post this as indicative of a huge religious base if that were my intention. :huh:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:50 am

I think Spinner's MO is:
If you can't argue the point - argue the one next to it. If there is no point next to it - then pull out of your butt!
:lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:32 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
slowshooter wrote:You lose! :lol3:

I have to confess I was struggling to see the point made, myself. :lol3: The atheist part....I am amazed at how high the percentages are for self-described atheists. Huge percentages that trump "God" believers in every demographic but one. I am not sure I would post this as indicative of a huge religious base if that were my intention. :huh:

Math is not your strong suit is it.

What is a "higher power"? Do atheists believe in a higher power? :no: The majority in all groups believe there is a higher power and not nothing. :yes:

My point was simple, how do you define a scientist? Everybody with a bachelors of science degree? :no: It's certainly more vague than pretending like belief in a higher power is consistent with atheism.

The poll is not well done, but that was the point.

That and I love when liberals want to use vague labels like scientist to avoid debating the facts. If scientists have credibility in areas outside of their expertise, then trust the resident scientist :hi:

Of course, you only do that when they are telling you what you want to hear just like in every other area. There is no logical consistency.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:54 am

SpinnerMan wrote: Math is not your strong suit is it.

I am at least as strong in math as you are in reading comprehension. If you notice, I specifically compared those who described themselves as atheists to those who described themselves as believing in "God".
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:33 am

SpinnerMan wrote: My point was simple, how do you define a scientist? Everybody with a bachelors of science degree? :no: It's certainly more vague than pretending like belief in a higher power is consistent with atheism.

The poll is not well done, but that was the point.

That and I love when liberals want to use vague labels like scientist to avoid debating the facts. If scientists have credibility in areas outside of their expertise, then trust the resident scientist :hi:

Simplicity itself! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote: Math is not your strong suit is it.

I am at least as strong in math as you are in reading comprehension. If you notice, I specifically compared those who described themselves as atheists to those who described themselves as believing in "God".

Does an atheist believe in a a higher power? This is the simplest of yes and no questions.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby cartervj » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:48 pm

Must suck really bad these days eh :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Obama lovers will try anything to make some irrational point to try and soften the blow Obama has brought :welcome:

try again with something of relevance and merit
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:01 pm

SpinnerMan wrote: Does an atheist believe in a a higher power? This is the simplest of yes and no questions.

Okay. I'll answer it for you. It depends upon the definition of "atheist" and the definition of "higher power". The problem in our communication is in life, things are simple only to simple people. All things. Every thing. But to you it's simple. Case in point.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:06 pm

Atheists dont' believe in deities, and higher power? What's more powerful than thermodynamics?
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 pm

slowshooter wrote:Atheists dont' believe in deities, and higher power? What's more powerful than thermodynamics?

Psssst. slow....the only acceptable answer is yes or no. We are among the wise here.....there are no maybes...sort ofs....could bes.....I don't knows. Everything is figured out. Man has reached his pinnacle. And it would be a grand peak indeed if Democrats weren't always pulling us down from the cloud haloed summits! :thumbsup: Trust me....oooops...sorry....trust THEM!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby assateague » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Here, I'll help:

No.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:24 pm

assateague wrote:Here, I'll help:

No.

I'm not sure. I think it's 50/50.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:26 pm

However, if we want to go down that road......how are you an expert on atheism? Were I an atheist, would you think I should consider myself an expert on Christianity?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby assateague » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:44 pm

It has little, if anything, to do with being an expert. I'm no expert on the universe. But I know the sun is s star. Just as I know that atheists do not acknowledge any higher power. God, Gaia, Allah, whatever- doesn't happen.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum