Looks bad for Republicans that own hardware stores

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Looks bad for Republicans that own hardware stores

Postby Butta boom » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:10 pm

While scientists and engineers have significant portfolio on the issue of global warming, farmers also have a dog in the fight. We don't get hired to find a desired outcome, we get paid by the pound, ton, sack or bushel. Nobody to lie to but our banker, ever try to lie to a banker? See orange jumpsuit on side of highway.

For what it is worth, this is my 39th rice crop on the same property, with some additions over the years. My father and grandfather were here for the previous thirty years. Almost seventy years of record keeping about the weather and how we dealt with it.

We have seen wet/flood years in the 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's and 00's. We have seen dry/drought years in all of those same decades. The fact that we have ignored our water supply infrastructure here in California and elsewhere, and find ourselves thirsty, it is fashionable to blame some other factor rather than ourselves for our problem.

We need to address the basic problem of population growth, and a static water supply that was built largely fifty years ago.

By the way, this year we started planting rice on the same day that my daddy planted rice in 1955, and it looks pretty good at this writing. If things go the same as it did back then, I will begin harvesting on the 22nd of September. I will keep you all posted if I am firing up my combine any earlier. It hasn't happened yet.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:03 pm

slowshooter wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
vincentpa wrote:Slow, have they ever made a poll of which direction engineers lean? I wonder why, :huh:

I would say 85-90% engineers are conservative, even gubment ones.

You can tell the conservative ones by their pocket protectors! :lol3:

I don't think I have ever seen anyone wear a pocket protector. Grandpa, it's the 21st century, they went out before the 8 track, another thing I don't believe I have ever seen used.

my uncle wore them religiously before he retired....

I'm the only person I know that still has a functioning slide rule.

Nerd out.

Actually, now you know 2. Although anything beyond mutiplication & division I've forgotten how to do on eitiher of them. My uncle gave me his really nice one from way-way back. Even does the trig functions, or so he told me...just have to flip the inset part over to do trig stuff. I Also have a smaller 6" sized one that is more basic, does the multiply & divide stuff. Tried showing my son, he's completely uninterested :sad:

When the zombie apocalyse comes, I'll be able to still do my calcs.

'cause I have a solar calculator :oops:
High Sierras
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:07 pm

I always wondered if they made one in braille. For when the lights go out and sun is down.
:lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:08 pm

Butta boom wrote:While scientists and engineers have significant portfolio on the issue of global warming, farmers also have a dog in the fight. We don't get hired to find a desired outcome, we get paid by the pound, ton, sack or bushel. Nobody to lie to but our banker, ever try to lie to a banker? See orange jumpsuit on side of highway.

For what it is worth, this is my 39th rice crop on the same property, with some additions over the years. My father and grandfather were here for the previous thirty years. Almost seventy years of record keeping about the weather and how we dealt with it.

We have seen wet/flood years in the 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's and 00's. We have seen dry/drought years in all of those same decades. The fact that we have ignored our water supply infrastructure here in California and elsewhere, and find ourselves thirsty, it is fashionable to blame some other factor rather than ourselves for our problem.

We need to address the basic problem of population growth, and a static water supply that was built largely fifty years ago.

By the way, this year we started planting rice on the same day that my daddy planted rice in 1955, and it looks pretty good at this writing. If things go the same as it did back then, I will begin harvesting on the 22nd of September. I will keep you all posted if I am firing up my combine any earlier. It hasn't happened yet.

Just out of curiousity, Bb, out of all those years, what did you receive in Govt subsides for various farm practices? I am not trying to be flippant or rude. I just know rice farmers in the Sacramento area and their situation.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:12 pm

slowshooter wrote:I always wondered if they made one in braille. For when the lights go out and sun is down.
:lol3:

In my experience, when the lights go down and the sun is dark, I want to use my fingers for exploration of a different sort! :lol3: Has little to do with numbers....I mean...who is counting? :lol3: :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:59 am

Glimmerjim wrote:In my experience, when the lights go down and the sun is dark, I want to use my fingers for exploration of a different sort! :lol3: Has little to do with numbers....I mean...who is counting? :lol3: :lol3:

Then he tells you to keep your hands to yourself.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby assateague » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:05 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
Butta boom wrote:While scientists and engineers have significant portfolio on the issue of global warming, farmers also have a dog in the fight. We don't get hired to find a desired outcome, we get paid by the pound, ton, sack or bushel. Nobody to lie to but our banker, ever try to lie to a banker? See orange jumpsuit on side of highway.

Just out of curiousity, Bb, out of all those years, what did you receive in Govt subsides for various farm practices? I am not trying to be flippant or rude. I just know rice farmers in the Sacramento area and their situation.

Here you go GJ. You can enter whatever zip code you want, and it will list farm subsidy recipients and dollar amounts that each got.

http://farm.ewg.org/search.php?fips=00000%C2%AEionname=theUnitedStates
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby assateague » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:05 am

Glimmerjim wrote:

Here you go GJ. You can enter whatever zip code you want, and it will list farm subsidy recipients and dollar amounts that each got.

WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:07 am

assateague wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

Interesting! Thanks AT! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Previous

Return to Controversial Issues Forum