Snowdan

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Eric Snowdan

Poll ended at Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Patriot
100%
Enemy
No votes

Total votes : 3

Re: Snowdan

Postby slowshooter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:55 pm

What agency do you work for? :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Patriot. There is an astounding lack of oversight. We are one step away from 1984.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Now he is going too far. He's revealing to China how we hack their computers.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:02 pm

MackieKnife wrote:Guess this is only for higher ups to comment on. Someone who lives in PA with a WVU avatar is a very rare breed. Cheers boss!

No they are very common. I know quite a few WVU grads in PA. Usually means they couldn't get into Penn State or Pitt :umm:

I really don't know what to make of this. I really don't think I understand it in a way to have a opinion. My gut tells me that it may be a good chunk of both.

BTW, not looking to start anything. WVU is a good school, just couldn't pass up the chance.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:47 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
MackieKnife wrote:Guess this is only for higher ups to comment on. Someone who lives in PA with a WVU avatar is a very rare breed. Cheers boss!

No they are very common. I know quite a few WVU grads in PA. Usually means they couldn't get into Penn State or Pitt :umm:

I really don't know what to make of this. I really don't think I understand it in a way to have a opinion. My gut tells me that it may be a good chunk of both.

BTW, not looking to start anything. WVU is a good school, just couldn't pass up the chance.

Not close. I never wanted to go to Penn State. It was either Pitt or WVU. WVU didn't have an essay on their application. I did theirs first and zipped it off. I was accepted in two weeks. I never completed the application for Pitt. This was my opportunity to flee. Besides, WVU had a better civil engineering program arguably better than PSU.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Remember Pittsburgh was only just starting to recover from the collapse of industry. It wasn't a place where I wanted to live and work as a young man. It was a great decision in hindsight for so many reasons.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:57 pm

vincentpa wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Not close. I never wanted to go to Penn State. It was either Pitt or WVU. WVU didn't have an essay on their application. I did theirs first and zipped it off. I was accepted in two weeks. I never completed the application for Pitt. This was my opportunity to flee. Besides, WVU had a better civil engineering program arguably better than PSU.

I was just giving you grief. If I actually thought WVU was inferior, I would have never joked about it.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 pm

The guy has nothing to gain and everything to loose. The government is going to do it's best to kick his butt over this one.

I am inclined to lean towards patriot on this one. If they were killing people and selling their body parts you would want him to violate his oath. For a lot of other heineous things as well. Did he break the law and his oath? Yes. Was it necessary? Time will tell. Either way the government should not be violating out constitutional right to privacy. That never leads to anything good!
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:18 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

I was just giving you grief. If I actually thought WVU was inferior, I would have never joked about it.

I didn't take it personally. Most people didn't realize tha WVU had a top notch civil engineering school. They had a leading professor on steel research. He solved a problem that all light gage corrugated steel deck design is based on. Literally it was one of the biggest solutions for structural engineering in the last 100 years. He was a real character and practical too. The other big professor was a moron Indian that did a huge amount of research in concrete and composites thanks to pork from Senator Byrd. The Indian couldn't teach but the steel guy could. Larry Luttrel was his name. They have another great professor, a Bolivian guy who was a great teacher as well as researcher. He used to take crap from the other professors because he had the audacity to suggest they take courses on how to teach. For him, students learning took precedence over research. Julio Davalos was his name and he was my advisor. I learned a lot from those two guys.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:34 pm

MackieKnife wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:The guy has nothing to gain and everything to loose. The government is going to do it's best to kick his butt over this one.

I am inclined to lean towards patriot on this one. If they were killing people and selling their body parts you would want him to violate his oath. For a lot of other heineous things as well. Did he break the law and his oath? Yes. Was it necessary? Time will tell. Either way the government should not be violating out constitutional right to privacy. That never leads to anything good!

Are you serious? Leaning towards patriotism? The guy has everything to gain in patriotism and his persecution to lose. Did he break his oath to who? Booz Allen? You know that oath? Are you claiming once CIA always CIA relative to an Oath?

When you have a security clearance, you are "read on" whenever you start a new job or move to a new location, and when you leave, you are "read off". This meets the "need to know" requirements. Part of this is signing a "contract", which basically outlines all of your legal responsibilities in regards to classified information. You violate that, and you just broke the law. So call it an "oath", call it a "contract", call it whatever you want, but it's a fact.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby assateague » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Patriot who deserves to punished. I said it in another thread- just because you "do the right thing" does not absolve you from the consequences of your actions. If we lost in 1776, the Founding Fathers would have been hanged, and rightfully so. But that doesn't make their actions any less "right", nor did winning make their actions any less "illegal" at the time they were committed. If "doing the right thing" was easy, everybody would be doing it.

Although like Vince said, divulging details about our cyberespionage to the Chinese was crossing an unnecessary line. I'm not sure what the poitn of that was.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby cartervj » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:21 am

White House accused of 'outing' Pakistani doctor who led U.S. to Bin Laden's hideout as he is jailed for 33 YEARS for treason 'as punishment for humiliating his country'
Dr Shakil Afridi led Navy SEALS to bin Laden by setting up fake vaccination programme that allowed him to take DNA samples from terrorist's children
Western officials say sentencing in Islamabad is punishment for humiliating Pakistan, who claims to not know Al Qaeda boss was living in Abottabad
Rep. Peter King says that Obama administration identified the doctor to Pakistani government officials, prompting his 33-year treason sentence

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2WxVA42AS
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:42 am

This is a tough one. On first blush it appears he was motivated in a patriotic way to shine a light on the slippery slope to our attaining a 1984 style big brother state. Then giving things to China comes along and one wonders as that seems very unpatriotic.

I know this. He worked for Booz Allen a scant 10 weeks before coming out with this. However he had already worked for the CIA. I'm not sure what his security level was with the CIA. One assumes it must have been fairly high, but why then didn't he leak at that stage?

From my experience government contractors like to have employees with secret or higher security clearances. The employees may not need the clearances for their jobs, but the contractor company wants those clearances in place so they can respond to any potential new contracts that may require high level clearance. That way they don't have to scramble when a RFP comes out requiring high level security clearance.

My guess is Snowden got a security level background (check and) increase when he joined Booz Allen, and because he's already been at the CIA working on such things, knew where to go digging with his new access clearance to find out more and stock his quiver with secrets for release.

The jury is still out on whether patriot, traitor, or just dangerously naive.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:36 pm

The China thing doesn't really bother me from a practical standpoint. Does anyone think the Chinese or other governments don't already know we do this...just as they're doing to us?

The leaders will cry outrage, but I think that's just to appease a sheltered population.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Booz Allen, and very, very few contractors, will upgrade a clearance. It costs too much. They can simply hire someone who already has a TS SCI, and then will read them on for certain projects as needed. There really isn't a clearance above TS, for all practical purposes. There are code-word access programs, but they are simply granted to holders of a TS who have a need-to-know.

But nobody pays for one of their employees to get a TS if they don't already have one.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby assateague » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Now he left Hong King and is on his way to Moscow. Don't know what his plan is, now.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby dudejcb » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:55 pm

assateague wrote:Booz Allen, and very, very few contractors, will upgrade a clearance. It costs too much. They can simply hire someone who already has a TS SCI, and then will read them on for certain projects as needed. There really isn't a clearance above TS, for all practical purposes. There are code-word access programs, but they are simply granted to holders of a TS who have a need-to-know.

But nobody pays for one of their employees to get a TS if they don't already have one.
You didn't hear me.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby assateague » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:43 pm

And according to Moscow, he has a ticket to Cuba on Monday. In a tragicomic sort of way, I enjoy him making a monkey out of the government.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby dudejcb » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:36 pm

assateague wrote:And according to Moscow, he has a ticket to Cuba on Monday. In a tragicomic sort of way, I enjoy him making a monkey out of the government.

Agreed. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand he's generated some healthy conversation (I hope), on the other he may have gone too far and helped enemies and damaged us. I wonder if he thinks he's gonna get s couple of those hot Russian babes and live the good life on the Baltic taking snipes at the US at leisure.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby cartervj » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:54 pm

More damage has been done by this current administration than Snowdan :thumbsup:
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:17 pm

cartervj wrote:More damage has been done by this current administration than Snowdan :thumbsup:

True...

Those who call Snowden a "traitor" or "treasonous" forget that he took two oaths -- first to maintain the secrecy of what he was entrusted with and a second, over-arching oath to The Constitution.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:29 pm

dudejcb wrote:
assateague wrote:Booz Allen, and very, very few contractors, will upgrade a clearance. It costs too much. They can simply hire someone who already has a TS SCI, and then will read them on for certain projects as needed. There really isn't a clearance above TS, for all practical purposes. There are code-word access programs, but they are simply granted to holders of a TS who have a need-to-know.

You didn't hear me.

I may not have. I was going off of this:

dudejcb wrote:My guess is Snowden got a security level background (check and) increase when he joined Booz Allen
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:15 pm

assateague wrote: Although like Vince said, divulging details about our cyberespionage to the Chinese was crossing an unnecessary line. I'm not sure what the poitn of that was.

He's an attention whore. Nothing more, nothing less.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:21 pm

Let's play find Snowdan.

I say he's in Eastern Europe.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:57 pm

slowshooter wrote:Let's play find Snowdan.

I say he's in Eastern Europe.

He will NOT be hartd to find. Any where he can grab a microphone he'll be there....anywhere he can get the attention of a newsman, he'll be there.....anytime he can grab a headline in a paper, he'll be there......Henry Fonda was cool playing a union rep, eh?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum